Overhand throw speed... what's average?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2019
60 mph is a college level velocity

65 is a D1 level velocity

70 is incredibly rare

I believe Boustice (DP?) was clocked at 84

All of my 14’s throw 60+ except one, with 4 throwing 65. We do a 9 week arm care program every year coupled with excellent mechanics. It’s paid off.

Jun 16, 2010
My DD threw about 70. The last time I remember her being clocked at 16u.
When she pitched baseball she threw mid 70s with that at 13. At 14U softball throw was 66 by my juggs gun. At 13 her arm was officially better than mine.

She was a bad outfielder due to it. She didnt need cutoff or one hop to catcher.... She wanted to get it there in the air.

At a private scrimmage at a leading D1 softball school, she threw a ball from near left field fence.....bad throw... Hit the backstop behind the catcher about 10 ft in the air. I could hear the college ump on the field say "did you see that!". I just shook my head......one hop it so catcher can deal with it.....

Another major softball program coach told her " Girl, your arm is sick!"

I overheard another at a tournament they were watching her and considering recruiting her ( her coach told me) and they didn't know I was behind them ....."oh, but that arm...."

All through college she attracted attention at games because of the speed of her arm from third base. Like a bullet.

Fast arm wont make up for a slow player or poor mechanics. an average speed arm with good mechanics is better than a fast arm with poor. As much as my daughter loved playing shortstop she was too slow there to make that her primary position in college or elite travel ball...... But she got to play it in high school.

Pitching baseball at 11 ....
DSCF0392(3)-1.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2015
Agree with above. My 14u SS was measured last year in the low 60s but her transition is really her strongest asset.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Was clocked when i was 17
breaking 70mph.
(again same result in late 20's)
Did not always need to throw that hard.
Think transition speed and accuracy are just as important. These can make an average arm competitive!

At times hear the catching debate on if throwing from knees or feet is faster.
Think one or the other is faster for the individual. Both are good to know.

Heres a fun catching story.
When playing at Long Beach State we arrived at Cal State Fullerton field. There were lots of coaches coming to watch the game and many people had stopwatches wearing them around the neck (old school.) Asked my teammates what's with all the stopwatches.
They told me thats for Chenita Rogers.
She was talked about for her extreme speed. Top in the nation.
Game starts. Sure enough Chenita got on first base. I knew she was going to go for it. The pitch came in and i exploded out to throw...
Well....All those people with their stopwatches in hand who came to time the fastest runner in the nation actually timed the catcher who threw her out!

Fast transition, throwing speed, accurate throw to corner of base, she slid into ss glove with the ball in it!
Sharing this story because I did that from my feet!

Theres a place for throwing from knees and feet.
Pop time to 2nd under 1.7 can happen with either!

GO DEFENSE !

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019
It depends on the pitch. If the pitch is mid to up you in a better leverage position to use you legs and should throw from your feet

pitch is down, throw from your knees. As RADcatcher said, you should have both

very cool story RAD

Jun 26, 2020
DD was 16 here. Around this same time she attended a UL camp where she was clocked at 75,75 & 76. There was one other girl that threw 72. Glasco told her that he has clocked thousands of girls and she was the hardest thrower that he has ever recorded at any level but TBH 70+ really isn’t that rare. There is two other girls on DD team that would hit or break 70.

Photo%20Jul%2019%2C%201%2020%2022%20PM.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Her ground travel speed has to be deducted from those numbers. Great arm by the way

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs