Overhand throw speed... what's average?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2015
Your reasoning was funny
" because it is" :)

Throwing speed.
Different topic than throwing distance. Tho speed does help distance
Physics is physics. There's no way around it. Velocity, mass, gravitional pull, trajectory.......

I could routinely throw a baseball from home over a 10ft 310ft fence, but never a 320. The gas ran out

Take a pitching machine and set it at a know speed and trajectory. If the balls weigh the same they will land within a tight circle

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
DD was 16 here. Around this same time she attended a UL camp where she was clocked at 75,75 & 76. There was one other girl that threw 72. Glasco told her that he has clocked thousands of girls and she was the hardest thrower that he has ever recorded at any level but TBH 70+ really isn’t that rare. There is two other girls on DD team that would hit or break 70.

That's impressive, but if we're talking about an objective measurement of arm strength, the thrower wouldn't be allowed shuffle, much less run like that before throwing. It looks like the gun is measuring your DD's velocity prior to the throw at 25mph! Yeah, I work with DD's OF throw emphasizing a crow-hop or running throw because it easily adds 10mph to her velocity. However, she doesn't hold the ball THAT long, and I'd yell at her if she did. I'd like to see that throw less the running start. I'm sure it would still be hard, but it would likely be below 70mph.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
DD was 16 here. Around this same time she attended a UL camp where she was clocked at 75,75 & 76. There was one other girl that threw 72. Glasco told her that he has clocked thousands of girls and she was the hardest thrower that he has ever recorded at any level but TBH 70+ really isn’t that rare. There is two other girls on DD team that would hit or break 70.

Photo%20Jul%2019%2C%201%2020%2022%20PM.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s getting it done! I always wondered if Anna would have cracked 70 being clocked like that, or if it even mattered?

We clocked her from fielding a ball and throwing from a normal SS position, the coach with the gun was 10’ beside the other coach catching at 1B. Who knows how accurate it was?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Physics is physics. There's no way around it. Velocity, mass, gravitional pull, trajectory.......

I could routinely throw a baseball from home over a 10ft 310ft fence, but never a 320. The gas ran out

Take a pitching machine and set it at a know speed and trajectory. If the balls weigh the same they will land within a tight circle
Lol are you saying physics proves a softball cant be thrown over 70 mph....

Trying to stay on topic throwing speed.
Perhaps a distance post?!

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
The college coaches during visits to take a look-see at catchers would set up speed guns on tri-pods, fence, or hand held.
Also take video.
On three occaisions had coaches put two timing devices out.
And the use of stopwatch's!

Pretty certain their timing methods did the job they needed them to do. ;)

Feb 16, 2015
South East
That's impressive, but if we're talking about an objective measurement of arm strength, the thrower wouldn't be allowed shuffle, much less run like that before throwing. It looks like the gun is measuring your DD's velocity prior to the throw at 25mph! Yeah, I work with DD's OF throw emphasizing a crow-hop or running throw because it easily adds 10mph to her velocity. However, she doesn't hold the ball THAT long, and I'd yell at her if she did. I'd like to see that throw less the running start. I'm sure it would still be hard, but it would likely be below 70mph.

DD is about 2-3 mph less when throwing like a BB pitcher compared to when she can throw with a shuffle like that........The late Dave Weaver (NECC) said if there is more than a 3% decline from a throw consisting of a shuffle or crow hop compared to coming out of a crouch and throwing (catcher) something is wrong mechanically with their throwing pattern. I also find this true from what I have seen from my DD.

Every camp I have been to that measured throwing velo gave the throwers at least 10’ to make a move..... it could be whatever they wanted it to be..... Many call this a “pull down” if you really want to see a throw from a run for max velo check out driveline baseball’s throwers they fly off the ground. I like it, IMO it shows athleticism and your more athletic guys typically finish with the highest velo...... DD isn’t athletic enough to do that

May 23, 2015
Lol are you saying physics proves a softball cant be thrown over 70 mph
Where did I say that??? I played softball with a man that could put his back to a 300ft fence take 3 or 4 steps and hit the back stop head high

On another thread i mentioned Michelle Smith hitting 70+ on the radar gun. Mens FP pitchers hit mid 80s.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Topic throwing speed....
Made me laugh thats all.

Screenshot_2020-07-19-12-09-47-1.png
Asked why say that?
Then laughed because you answered "because it is..."
Not really a thinking answer...
Then this.
Full on physics...
Screenshot_2020-07-19-12-11-53-1.png
My comment
"Are you saying physics proves a softball can't be thrown over 70 mph"

It was funny!
No harm no foul! :)

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Illinois

Photo%20Jul%2019%2C%201%2020%2022%20PM.gif

That is awesome. Even more so when you see that she does not have a huge windup to generate that power.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
You've got three 11 year-olds who throw a 12 inch ball in the same range as the average college softball player? That I'd like to see.

I did not say they were 11 years old. It is an 11u team, they are a pretty decent team. All 3 of the girls are 12 years old currently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand