Overhand throw speed... what's average?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Any person throwing a softball 70+ mph underhanded, overhand, sidearm or otherwise is very very rare air.

I've always loved this video. Says he was clocked at 104....

? Why do you say very very
rare?

Unless its steak your ordering?

Pitchers are reporting increased speed on the ball with the change in back step/start back.
The talk is 70mph will be even more obtainable than in already was.

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I can only give you a little info for an 11u team. I got three girls that can overhand throw 57-60 mph. I also have 3 girls that can only throw 42-44 mph.

The girls that are throwing in the low range all have poor throwing mechanics.

You've got three 11 year-olds who throw a 12 inch ball in the same range as the average college softball player? That I'd like to see.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
You've got three 11 year-olds who throw a 12 inch ball in the same range as the average college softball player? That I'd like to see.
12" makes a difference.

Do have 13 year olds throwing
62 to 66 mph overhand.
(closer to age 14 when clocked)
58-60 more common at competitive 14's+.
Can be expected to see this at pgf premier nationals
( when its played ;) )
65mph is about the competitive standard 16 and up.
That speed increases heading off to college D1
68 69 and tho's breaking 70 are fewer in college but NOT rare imo.

I was clocked breaking 70mph.
imo getting rid of the ball fast is equally if even more important. Transition speed can really help those with getting the ball to the target faster.

The combination of transition speed and throwing speed...throws out the fastest runners in the nation.

*Then of course accuracy matters in tag plays.

Last edited:
May 23, 2015
? Why do you say very very
rare?

Unless its steak your ordering?

Pitchers are reporting increased speed on the ball with the change in back step/start back.
The talk is 70mph will be even more obtainable than in already was.
Because it is. You're getting way up on the arm speed meter. There's not many men or women who throw a softball 250ft

As stated before theres a lot of anomalies that happen with radars in the hands of some people

Apr 20, 2015
12" makes a difference.

Do have 13 year olds throwing
62 to 66 mph overhand.
(closer to age 14 when clocked)
58-60 more common at competitive 14's+.
Can be expected to see this at pgf premier nationals
( when its played ;) )
65mph is about the competitive standard 16 and up.
That speed increases heading off to college D1
68 69 and tho's breaking 70 are fewer in college but NOT rare imo.

I was clocked breaking 70mph.
imo getting rid of the ball fast is equally if even more important. Transition speed can really help those with getting the ball to the target faster.

The combination of transition speed and throwing speed...throws out the fastest runners in the nation.

*Then of course accuracy matters in tag plays.
I'd say this is pretty accurate. My kiddo plays on an elite pgf team and had overhand speed in the 60s as a 13yo when clocked in several college camps. She's a MI. Some kids have a rocket arm from the get go...mine took time to develop as a 10yo she was only in the low 40s and we wondered if she'd ever have the arm speed to continue playing MI. She also has a lightening fast transfer which helps tremendously. She honestly doesn't use her arm all the time but when she needs to the gun comes out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Because it is. You're getting way up on the arm speed meter. There's not many men or women who throw a softball 250ft

As stated before theres a lot of anomalies that happen with radars in the hands of some people
Your reasoning was funny
" because it is" :)

Throwing speed.
Different topic than throwing distance. Tho speed does help distance.
Could post distance throwing video's ...different topic.
Throwing from hr fence to home plate is common in fastpitch.

Also throwing with proper body mechanics with arm is a great way to remain healthy!

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Are you sure about that science? MLB clocks 20 feet out of the hand because science says that's the fastest point. Maybe that has changed, but that's what they say. The ball accelerates for 20 feet and then drag begins to slow it down.

Physics hasn't changed. A ball immediately begins slowing down after losing contact with whatever is providing the force that accelerates it. Whether that's off the bat or out of the hand, it makes no difference. The combined effect of gravity and atmospheric friction doesn't wait for 20 feet to happen before going to work.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I never really gave much thought into measured speed from SS to 1B, as far as mph goes, just knew what I saw as far as mechanics and what looked right, especially at release, meaning where her body position is at exactly the moment she fields the ball.

After having a conversation with a D1 coach, he said he’d never consider recruiting a girl for SS if she couldn’t consistently throw to 1B at 65 mph, on average.

Very next HS practice, Anna’s senior year, me and the two other coaches hit her 10 ground balls to an average SS playing position / distance. She hit 68 twice and a low of 64 twice, she averaged 66 mph for the 10 throws. This was after practice so she was warmed up but had already thrown Lord knows how many throws, but it was a lot!

Me personally am very happy with 65/66 mph from SS to 1B. I know this is just one example.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
DD was 16 here. Around this same time she attended a UL camp where she was clocked at 75,75 & 76. There was one other girl that threw 72. Glasco told her that he has clocked thousands of girls and she was the hardest thrower that he has ever recorded at any level but TBH 70+ really isn’t that rare. There is two other girls on DD team that would hit or break 70.

Photo%20Jul%2019%2C%201%2020%2022%20PM.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs