Overhand throw speed... what's average?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2019
60 mph is a college level velocity

65 is a D1 level velocity

70 is incredibly rare

I believe Boustice (DP?) was clocked at 84

All of my 14’s throw 60+ except one, with 4 throwing 65. We do a 9 week arm care program every year coupled with excellent mechanics. It’s paid off.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Physics hasn't changed. A ball immediately begins slowing down after losing contact with whatever is providing the force that accelerates it. Whether that's off the bat or out of the hand, it makes no difference. The combined effect of gravity and atmospheric friction doesn't wait for 20 feet to happen before going to work.

Correct, as I said earlier when I corrected myself. MLB clocks 20 feet out of hand to avoid interference from the pitchers body throwing off readings on the gun. In the doc. Nolan Ryan's 101 was theorized to really be 108. I thought it was because it wasn't clocked at the 20 foot mark, but it was because it was clocked at the plate.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
Nano technology

Any person throwing a softball 70+ mph underhanded, overhand, sidearm or otherwise is very very rare air.

I've always loved this video. Says he was clocked at 104....

I've watched that video many times. I've also watched the old films of Eddie Feigner, who was also said to have been clocked at 104 using a different technology. I sure wish I had seen both in person while they were in their respective primes. Feigner's prime was before I was born or was still a young child, but I could have seen Stofflet if I had paid more attention to softball at that time. I can't figure out how they could possibly throw so fast. Amazing!

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
It would be difficult to separate out the hand from the ball, I've never really thought about it before. I'll have to take my Pocket Radar and try to measure just the hand in a throwing motion. Measuring the ball as it crosses the plate is also tricky. I guess it would mean turning on the radar gun right as the ball crosses the plate, timing is everything. Radar guns have to be in line with the flight of the ball to be accurate.

Jul 31, 2019
It would be difficult to separate out the hand from the ball, I've never really thought about it before. I'll have to take my Pocket Radar and try to measure just the hand in a throwing motion. Measuring the ball as it crosses the plate is also tricky. I guess it would mean turning on the radar gun right as the ball crosses the plate, timing is everything. Radar guns have to be in line with the flight of the ball to be accurate.
Most of the good radar guns have a peak velocity feature. It will give you a peak and the last velocity it measures (crossing the plate)

Jul 31, 2019
When you measure velocity at a short distance with a player throwing into a net, int is basically peak

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand