OutfieldInfield Rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
We have a case of beer riding on the answer to this rule question/interpertation: Are outfielders allowed to be positioned in the dirt behind the infielders or do they have to remain on the outfield grass, while the pitch is being thrown? For example: If it's bottom of the last inning with bases loaded, in a game you are winning by 1 run. A weak hitter is batting. You bring the infielders up to cut the runner off at home. Could you bring the outfielders in to also cut of the run at home and cut off any angles? Or in international tiebreaker situations: Have an outfielder positioned on 3rd base to take a throw and to tag the runner? The governing bodies are either USSSA or ASA.
Thanks, D'E

Oct 22, 2009
PA
The pitcher has to be on the rubber, and the catcher is the only player allowed to be in foul territory. The other 7 can be anywhere you want to put them.

Jun 22, 2008
You can play fielders anywhere you want as long as they are all in fair territory except for the catcher. I have seen on many occasions where a team will move 1 outfielder into the infield on a slapper and play 6 infielders instead of 5 and only have 2 outfielders.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I saw it this summer when the Chicago Bandits played our program's 18U team -- the Lake County Liberty. Eileen Canney was pitching, and the Bandits obviously didn't think any of the hitters would touch her, at least not well. And they were correct.

Oct 18, 2009
was told by an umpire that my Of has to be on the dge of the grass..can't be on the dirt

That's sometimes a league rule. I know our Little League uses that rule... although I think its only our local Little League rule and does not apply to Little League in general.

Jul 26, 2010
I have seen ALL the OF in the IF dirt before. Uncommon. But someone believes it would work.

If you've ever had to play a 10u or even 12u team on an adult slowpitch or flat baseball field, you'd be silly to not have your outfield in the dirt, given that the grass is usually 100' from home plate.

-W

If it was a rule that outfielders must stay on the grass, what happens when the girls are on a field that is used as baseball AND softball. Baseball infield dirt goes out a LONG way. In 10s and 12s most balls or outfielders ever see that grass. But, I've never heard that outfielders MUST stay on the grass. Fair territory, and anywhere you dare to put them.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
was told by an umpire that my Of has to be on the dge of the grass..can't be on the dirt

So it must be true because blue is always right! I just love when they make up rules to even things up or to fit the situation! That's why I think SB coaches should get one of those red flags that the NFL coaches get to throw to demand a replay! Throw the flag, the Umpire in Chief is summoned on the bat phone to make a ruling. If you're wrong, the red flag is gone for the remainder of the tourney, but if you're right, you get to keep it and keep using it until you're wrong!

Wonder what blue would've said if it was an all grass field or a field in such bad shape you can't tell where the IF/OF starts/ends?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom