Outfielders

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
OF's are very valuable. Two weeks ago. DD hits a shot over the CF head and that kid miraculously made an over the should Jackie Robinson style catch. Almost unbelievable! Let's look at the other side. Our young and inexperienced OF looked horrible. Coming up short on catch-able balls letting it bounce on the turf and squirt into the corner. An out turned in a triple. Misplayed balls going to the fence which turned into Inside the Park HR (260' fences). Not hitting the cut off allowing runners to take extra bases. A lot of face palming that day.

Jul 3, 2014
Inland Empire
My DD was originally a middle infielder, typically 2B... last year on her travel team (12U), she was transitioned into left field. Initially she hated it, but dealt with it and now she's totally embraced the outfield. Her coach's logic is that she's fast and has a gun for an arm. In addition, she's pretty knowledgeable in positioning and where/when to cover. Fast forward another year, and she's the starting CF for her new 14U team (she's a 1st year 14, with most of the girls 2nd year 14). Her current coach loves that she knows the outfield and can run the outfield. MY DD totally loves it now.....I find her on youtube every now and then watching videos on outfielders... She totally loves making big plays and throwing out base runners!

Feb 26, 2018
My 2nd year 12U DD plays 3rd and RF and is out there for her speed and her arm. She loves charging the hard grounders that get through the IF and throwing a girl out at first. I think she actually prefers it over playing 3rd, but her time is split between 3rd and RF. I think it's important to know more than one position because you never know when you might be called on to play somewhere else. It's a long season, injuries happen, and regardless of where you're playing you should be happy to be out on the field helping your team.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
Learn to play multiple positions. You might be the best 1B but you may not on your next team. Being competent at multiple positions can help you get on the field sooner and more often. There's 3 OF positions! Right Field beats Right Bench.

Outfielders rock- says the dad who's DD is a pitcher!

Dec 11, 2010
Great outfielders STAND OUT!

And if you are 12u, have a good bat and want to punch your ticket to go straight to varsity as a freshman, be a great outfielder. Parents of kids who think their kid has to be the starting shortstop on some local travel team in order to get moved up to varsity cannot be convinced of this.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Great outfielders STAND OUT!

And if you are 12u, have a good bat and want to punch your ticket to go straight to varsity as a freshman, be a great outfielder. Parents of kids who think their kid has to be the starting shortstop on some local travel team in order to get moved up to varsity cannot be convinced of this.

Great advice! At least, make sure that your dd has had time in games in the OF. We have a young lady now in our community that is a very good SS. She is also a very good CF. When talking to the parents, the one thing that stands out is the make up of the potential varsity team her freshman year. There will be a 4 year, by that time, starting SS at SS. However, the OF will most likely be open. I've posted before that my dd started as a SS/OF/P her freshman year. By the time she was a senior, she was the CF. That is where she was being recruited.

Dec 11, 2010
Great advice! At least, make sure that your dd has had time in games in the OF. We have a young lady now in our community that is a very good SS. She is also a very good CF. When talking to the parents, the one thing that stands out is the make up of the potential varsity team her freshman year. There will be a 4 year, by that time, starting SS at SS. However, the OF will most likely be open. I've posted before that my dd started as a SS/OF/P her freshman year. By the time she was a senior, she was the CF. That is where she was being recruited.

No doubt about the bold. Being able and willing to play multiple spots is just so valuable to coaches. If I had it all to do over again, both of my kids would be listed as "C/U" by 2nd year 14's if that makes any sense!

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
OFs are difference-makers and game-changers. As they get older, there are more opportunities to show off their importance. 12U and above, you won't see many good teams with mediocre OFs. At 14U, you won't see any.

Feb 3, 2016
DD is kind of cursed. Great SS but even a better Center. Happy coach gives her some infield pool play time to keep skill set up. Not sure what the future holds but after several diving catches and ending entire innings on her own CF is calling her name this Fall...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06