other coaches opinion (HS ball question)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 26, 2011
You have runners at 3rd and 2nd no outs. Regional game you lose your done.

#6 hitter is up (hitting close to .300 on the year but probably not over) has not had a hit in the game been up 3 times.

Next #7 hitter up (a righty converted to lefty to try to be a slapper because she had some speed and could not hit from right. Be lucky to be hitting .150 on the season). Also has not had a hit in 3 at bats.

Now the question !!!!!!!

Do you bunt ????

Do you let them swing away ????

There is more to it and I will tell you how it turned out after some opinions.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Too many unknowns. What's the score? What inning? How is the opposing pitcher? Did the batters strike out or did they make contact in their at bats? Smart, fast runners on base? Or are they slow and not so smart?

Oct 25, 2009
So #4 batter is at 3rd, #5 batter is at 2nd.

I'll make up a scenario. The runner at 3rd is the winning run. I'm going to let #6 hit away. If this fails, I'm going to sub the fastest runner in the world (on this team) for #4 at 3rd and the best bunter in the world for #7. One out. #7 bunts the prettiest suicide bunt ever and we win.

Feb 26, 2011
Sorry I am off by one.

#3 hitter on 3rd (very fast)
#4 hitter on 2nd (pinch runner good speed but young)
No outs
#5 hitter up ( strikes out first 2 at bats, hit a linedrive right to left fielder who made the catch last at bat)
#6 hitter (strikes out the 3 previous at bats)

Top of 6th inning , score is 2-1 we are down. Regionals, if we lose season is over.

Now that you know a little more what do you do ?????

I must say I am a little suprised with these answers already.

Oct 25, 2009
Sorry I am off by one.

#3 hitter on 3rd (very fast)
#4 hitter on 2nd (pinch runner good speed but young)
No outs
#5 hitter up ( strikes out first 2 at bats, hit a linedrive right to left fielder who made the catch last at bat)
#6 hitter (strikes out the 3 previous at bats)

Top of 6th inning , score is 2-1 we are down. Regionals, if we lose season is over.

Now that you know a little more what do you do ?????

I must say I am a little suprised with these answers already.

#5 batter hit away (#5 knows this pitcher now). #3 scores or one out. If one out #6 batter squeezes #3 home for the tie. Runners at 1st and 3rd, one out. #7 batter squeezes #4 batter. Score 3-2. Still one out.

Last edited:
I think your #7 batters gonna have the key at bat here.
Swing away with #5, hope for the (1)go ahead runs with a solid base hit or a (2)sac fly for the tie or (3)walk. If #5 K's (or hits a dribbler to pitcher for easy out no play at home)or walks then bunt #6 (or pinch hitter here).... #7 comes up with 1 possibly 2 outs and gets the go ahead runs scored with a opposite field hit over the RF who's playing in. #8 also gets a hit with an rbi and your #9 K's ending the inning with the top of the order waiting for the top of the 7th.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Sounds like you didn't agree with whatever was done, and that it didn't work. That's the beauty of hindsight. You already know what won't work.

With my #5 hitter up, I'd probably have her swing away. You say she's hitting .300 on the season and she's already 0 for 3. Statistically that means she has a good chance of getting a hit. Of course, I don't know how she handles pressure, how she's done before against this pitcher, how deep the infield is playing (are they expecting bunt or playing back?) and some other details. Also, will your runners go on any ground ball in the infield, forcing your opponent to make a play at the plate?

This might also be a good time for a slug bunt if she can do it -- show bunt, pull back, put the ball on the ground. If it works you score one run for sure, maybe two if it squirts through the infield, or at worst wind up with runners on first and third -- which likely means second and third one pitch later.

Nov 1, 2009
I would bunt the first and make them make a decision. If they play at first I should have a good chance to score. If they give me the runner I have the bases loaded to score at least one before they get three outs.

However, without really knowing the personnel it is impossible to really give you a good answer. In fact I don't know if there is a right answer. If he didn't do a suicide squeeze and the batter wiffed then I would say any decision is good. The real question is what would you do if you were the defense?

Oct 22, 2009
PA
If I were on defense, I would pitch out the first pitch to see what they had on. Might even pitch out a second time. One walk to load the bases does not hurt me with the bottom of the order coming up.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I'd let #5 hit away. She lined one to left last at bat, and a 300 hitter will be confident of getting a hit. Speedy runner at third, I'd have her going on a ground ball, if they make the play at home you still have 2 on with 1 out. #6 batter bunts to get either tying or go ahead run in. If you're not confident in #6 bunting skills, pinch hit with best bunter available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand