other coaches opinion (HS ball question)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Not so many 1-0, 2-1 games these days, particularly since all SB after 8th grade universally is at 43 feet. To paraphrase the Dominicans "You can't bunt your way off the island"!

Mar 13, 2010
When DD was talking to him he also told her that they did enough to win the game and not getting any runs in the 6th didnt matter.
Now here is my take on that. The girl that hit the HR in the 7th saved his butt from looking like a really bad coach. I feel he left runs out there that apparently we needed.

What are your thoughts on that ????
Do you agree they did enough ????? (but lost)

I think you need to coach if you're that critical of him.

I think that he did the right thing. I don't agree that bunting to get the run in was the only option. A good team (which this other team was) could very easily have got both players out. Then you'd definitely have lost. By having the girls swing away he trusted his batters to do their job and they did.

Jul 17, 2009
Daughter's last regular season game of the season - district title up for grabs. We're in the field bottom of the third no score. One out runners on second and third, clean up up. Batter bunts and third charges hard and throws home. Runner would have been out by two steps so she turns back towards third. Runner on second makes the mistake of putting on the brakes when she sees her teammate turn around. We tag out the runner that was at third. The bunter makes the right play and makes the turn at first. We've got both runners hung up. The catcher had tagged the original lead runner and runs at the current lead runner. She gets in a pickle and gets tagged out at third by the left fielder covering - inning over.

Nov 1, 2009
How do you bunt this runner home? If she over commits on the bunt she will be out. If she tries to score after the throw to first you risk a double play. I would hit away unless I knew the other team would give me first to load the bases.

Feb 26, 2011
WOW
You guys are going to have to tell me where you are from so I can come watch these HIGH SCHOOL teams.

They must be better than alot of college teams !!!!!!!!!

Jul 17, 2009
WOW
You guys are going to have to tell me where you are from so I can come watch these HIGH SCHOOL teams.

They must be better than alot of college teams !!!!!!!!!

Not sure if that's sarcasm or not but I'm from Virginia. Every kid on the field is a pretty good travel ball player and I think our team is considered to be one of the better ones around here.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
How do you bunt this runner home? If she over commits on the bunt she will be out. If she tries to score after the throw to first you risk a double play. I would hit away unless I knew the other team would give me first to load the bases.

I guess it depends on the skill level of both teams. With a good bunter at the plate, and an out to play with, I would bunt to make the defense make a play. Defense can try all they want, but a good bunt with the runner going on contact is a difficult if not impossible play at the plate. If the pitcher has to field the ball on her glove side, moving toward 1st or 3rd, poor baserunning would be the only chance for the out at home.

Kelly Clinevell's post is a good example of heads up defense and a poor bunt and bad baserunning. Besides, I would have let clean up swing away.You have to make the decision based on who's at the plate.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
There are many variables but
With a good bunter at the plate, and an out to play with, I would bunt to make the defense make a play. Defense can try all they want, but a good bunt with the runner going on contact is a difficult if not impossible play at the plate. If the pitcher has to field the ball on her glove side, moving toward 1st or 3rd, poor baserunning would be the only chance for the out at home.
would be my first option. It is a tough play at the plate when running on downward contact. D has to be perfect and if they are I still have the tying run with speed at the third.

Now if 3 has crept too far up I may pull out of the bunt and slap it focusing on down.

As ihowser says....lots of variables. Each coach is different as theres no 'standard', must call this play when ________(insert scenerio here) everytime said scenerio arrises. As coach I know the flow of the game and the trends of my offense. I go on gut feelings, hunches, trends and what the defense is showing. I try to exploit where the defensive weaknesses are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand