other coaches opinion (HS ball question)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
Have the #5 taking or swinging away trying to put the ball in play on the ground towards second till she has one strike. You have to trust your hitter to know what she needs to deliver. Then it's lay a bunt down at the pitcher on her glove side. Making the pitcher field the ball is your best option on the squeeze. Runner on 3d going on contact.

Best Case: Run scores and you have runners on 1st and 3rd still no outs.
Worst case: Hitter wiffs on bunt attempt. Bunt again with 2 strikes. Defense won't be looking for it. She can't let the defense walk her if at all possible to load the bases.

#6. Pinch hit for her if possible. No PH: If run attempt successful steal 2nd with hitter doing a cover swing. Then let her K again. She's too juicy a target for the defense not to pitcher to her.

#7 Hitter is the key here. If the defense walks #5 or #6 to load the bases She has to come through with a hit or sac fly. She swinging with the possibility of a bunt.

Here is what I do if I'm on defense.

I walk the #5 hitter to load em up. She's due and is a strong hitter. Now I have #6, a hitter with 3 K's coming up. I'm looking for a K or possible double play on a home to 1st banger. Again #7 is critical here. Pitcher her low hoping for a ground ball with a force at home if only one out for the last out of the inning.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If it were late in the game and I were the coach, there is no question I would do a safety squeeze.

Of course, if I were the coach, my team would have worked on this play about 1,000,000 times in practice, so my confidence in success would be very high.

Jan 15, 2009
I'm a big fan of safety squeeze with runners on second and third no outs in a close game. Good chance to beat a tag at home with a decent bunt + probably end up with bunter on 2nd base as SS covers 3rd and 2nd covers 1st and 95% of CF watch play rather than participate.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Let her hit. 2nd and 3rd no outs. Odds of me scoring a run in this scenario are huge. I have my runner from 3rd going on ANY ground ball. Put the pressure on the defense. All you need is a ground ball or a fairly deep fly ball and the game is tied. Base hit and you are now up. Regionals justs adds to the pressure on the defense. Even if you get nailed at the plate, you have 2nd and 3rd one out. I bet the ball gets thrown away, you are up one with a runner on 3rd. Play fast.

Feb 26, 2011
Ok here is what happened.

Coach lets #5 batter swing away .......... Pops up to short stop , 1 out.

Coach calls time talks to #6 hitter she is swinging away ........... Pops up to 3rd base , 2nd out.

#7 hitter of coarse is swinging with 2 outs .............. strikes out , inning over , no runs , still down by 1 and not looking good with #8 and #9 hitter starting 7th inning.

BUT WAIT THERE IS MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We hold them and we are back at the plate. We are the visitors so they will get last at bat.

#8 hitter strikes out.
#9 hitter draws a walk back to the top of the order.
lead off hits a single to right #9 goes to 3rd lead off is on first.

Now here is where it gets interesting .......... again.

Coache has #2 batter fake bunt, lead off steals 2nd (they just let her have the base, dont want to risk letting the girl on 3rd scoring)

#2 batter up (probably best bunter on team) has a 0-1 count.

7th inning
still down by 1
girls on 3rd and 2nd
1 out

NOW WHAT DO YOU DO ??????????????

Do you remember the last inning or are you a gambler ??????????

STAY TUNED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will tell you what happens after some replies.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Of COURSE I don't remember the last inning! I'm in the meat of my lineup with 2 runners in scoring position... If #2 can hit I'm going to have her do it. If she can't but can get a slap down, I'm having her go for it. If she can ONLY bunt, I'm having her bunt for the squeeze. If that isn't successful I have 2 outs with #3 at bat who gets the green light to swing away.

Feb 26, 2011
I forgot to add this info to make it a little more entertaining.

#2 hitter has had 3 at bats already!

1st at bat single into shallow left field.

2nd at bat sac. bunt to move a runner from 1st to 2nd.

3rd at bat shallow fly into right field but 2nd base made the catch five or six steps in the grass. Nice play.

Does that factor into making your decision easier or harder ??????

NOW what do you do ???????

REMEMBER YOU LOSE YOUR SEASON IS OVER.

Last edited:

DSC

Feb 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I am thinking the defense wants the bases loaded if at all possible, this gives them every chance for a close out anywhere. That may mean the batter crowding in and reaching on outside pitches to get the hit or bunt. Best thing for you would be a hit just over the infield and short of the outfield, perhaps the 8-9 hole would make you smile.

I think it hinges on the feel of how the game is going. Is the team fired up or have they had a rally and are now starting to go the other way? Are the girls coming up to bat fired up? It sounds to me like a good time to put some confidence into these hitters and let them swing away. If you still aren't tied or ahead after one out, bunt if possible, on two outs, swing away the sac bunt wouldn't do any good anyway.

These girls are likely ready to go make up for the earlier at bats, and they have seen this pitcher and know what to expect. (Unless a pitching change has happened.)

I would probably refrain from mentioning the winning run on second, might pressure them into trying too hard.

Now, if this pitcher seems to make mental mistakes I might try to get a bunt to her and see if she freezes, if not, go with the above.

These things are so hard to work out without actually being there.....

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
BUNT!!! Last opportunity to at least tie the game. #2 hitter is usually the best bunter you got, so let her tie the game. I might talk to the hitter and tell her to put the bunt away from the defense, so they have to field on the run and throw home, but this is the last chance to keep from repeating the same thing that happened last inning. I might even have her bunt with 2 strikes. Then let #3 win the game with a big hit.

Feb 26, 2011
Alright here is what happened.

Coach has #2 hitter swinging, hits a shot to 1st base who makes the catch.
2 outs down by 1 #3 hitter up, 2nd or 3rd pitch jacks one over left center fence 3 run HR
We are up 4-2 bottom of 7th. End of giving up 2 runs to go into extra innings.
Game ends up going 10 innings in which we give up one in the bottom of the inning game over season done.

But here is where my real questions start.

First let it be know I didnt start this thread to come on here and bash the coach. I consider him a friend of mine not just my DDs coach.
We have worked very close the last couple of years to try and build a strong program. Even though he is their HS coach he can only work with them 3 months out of the year where as I can work with them 7 or 8. I coach them in a HS league in summer and fall which usually consist of 30 + games and he also has me do his open gyms during the winter.

Next day at scool my DD is talking with him about the game and ask him why he didnt bunt to score the runs ? His reply was he never even thought about it. My DD has been playing for him for 3 years now but even before that we use to go to the games and that always seemed to be the biggest complaint that he wouldnt bunt with girls in scoring position which left girls stranded on 3rd. Well here we are 4years later and still the same thing.

Here is the question

His son was a good BB player , played in college.
Does he have to much of a BB approach instead of SB ?????

He has no problem bunting when a girl reaches 1st to advance her to 2nd (a BB thing) but doesnt even cross his mind to get a girl from 3rd to home.
And I must say I was a little supprised with all the swing away people. Things must be a little different here. I have coached or been an assitant coach for 11 -12 yrs , 5 -6 yrs has been at TB level and it is pretty much a given if you get a girl on 3rd with less than 2 outs next girl is bunting. Now there are exceptions , if a girl can not bunt at all or runner is really slow but other than that they know they are bunting. I know I will trade that one run for an out every time. Someone said it in a reply to this thread that it is the offenses job to keep the presure on the defense and that is why you bunt in that situation.

2nd question.

When DD was talking to him he also told her that they did enough to win the game and not getting any runs in the 6th didnt matter.
Now here is my take on that. The girl that hit the HR in the 7th saved his butt from looking like a really bad coach. I feel he left runs out there that apparently we needed.

What are your thoughts on that ????
Do you agree they did enough ????? (but lost)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs