Organization question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2015
I can understand wanting the big name. We've really only got one bracket level pitcher, even after moving to a bigger name from last year. We're not one of the big 3 around here, and finding the higher level players is tougher. Vipers, Bullets, Impact - all their 06 teams seem to have 3+ bracket pitchers. We could have the same girls, same coaches, same everything - call us Vipers and it changes everything. The tryouts are very different for the big name orgs. It's a lot easier to put together a team that can compete in higher level tournaments. I'm afraid the orgs that have been high B/low A around here are adding teams so indiscriminately that the gulf between the big 3 and everyone else will just continue to grow, too. HC is a development guy; we have some truly great raw talent. He helps the girls develop...then they get snatched up by the Bullets/Vipers/Impact. That's just how it goes I guess.

We are in a similar situation, completely understand.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
But it DOES help if your team or the local state director is selective and frankly some big orgs give a lot more support to every team in the org than others. We decided very early that we would make sure we got value for money, we did a lot of research including a lot of advice from here, and we have got the value because we made sure we did. And when we did do that, the HQ of the org we are involved in has been very supportive and active with us. A lot of teams just buy the name and then don't bother going beyond that and then are disappointed. We have NOT fallen into that trap.

It is 100% clear that taking on a name gets you more attention. How much is somewhat up to your team.

Now if you can't perform, then it isn't going to help, but there is NO doubt that when we transitioned a very good team into a bigger org we got better fields (not the best, but better), more looks (coaches would at least stop and look at our field even if as one put it "just to see if it is a good team from the org, or a just a team"), and when we performed on top of that it has made it easier to to get into the showcases we wanted to attend and so on.

If anything made it clear to me that we had made the right decision it was when tournament directors started taking our phone calls or calling us (even if it was just to complain that we were ruining softball in the area but not joining their big org).

I definitely understand and wasn't saying anything negative so I am sorry if it came across that way. I just thought it was funny having SoCal Athletics in Florida when Southern California is part of the name.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I definitely understand and wasn't saying anything negative so I am sorry if it came across that way. I just thought it was funny having SoCal Athletics in Florida when Southern California is part of the name.

Oh absolutely and I wasn't replying directly to you (I thought my post was before yours actually) - there is also Texas Glory - Tampa, Atlanta Vipers - Orlando and so on... (Both are good squads actually)

While the 'Big Org' team on your schedule that you don't know might not be a great team, there is a chance it might be. And we haven't played a single non-big org team that was great in quite some time though we have played some reasonable ones.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Organizations are expanding because every player within the organization sends money to the people at the top of the organization. While it is good to have a marquee organization on the front of your jersey, college coaches realize that the teams and talent within the organizations is becoming watered down. Your DD plays for her coach, so pick a team based on the evaluation of the coaching staff vs. the name of the organization.

Jun 29, 2013
Like every other trend, this will run it’s course.i don’t know when, but eventually parents will wise up and realize that just because you’re on a name franchise doesn’t necessarily lead to a Big 5 scholarship

Nov 29, 2009
A middle-of-the-road organization just announced they are now part of the Batbusters organization. Per a post by the head of the org, Mike Stith will be at tryouts and is "Fully invested" in the program which will now be known as the Chicago Batbusters. There's not going to be a monthly fee for the players.

The team is not from Chicago. They are from a suburb of the city.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
" There's not going to be a monthly fee for the players. "

Fees will increase. They might just not be monthly!

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
" There's not going to be a monthly fee for the players. "
Fees will increase. They might just not be monthly!

Or every spare minute will be spent fundraising or working showcases...

On the opposite side - I was talking to one of our opponents this weekend from an area where travel ball is scarce. To try out for their organization you need to pay $3500 upfront... which they will give back to you if your DD doesn't make the team.

Must be nice being the only game in town.

Jun 29, 2013
A middle-of-the-road organization just announced they are now part of the Batbusters organization. Per a post by the head of the org, Mike Stith will be at tryouts and is "Fully invested" in the program which will now be known as the Chicago Batbusters. There's not going to be a monthly fee for the players.

The team is not from Chicago. They are from a suburb of the city.

Man, he gets around! he is directly involved with two teams here as well! ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414