Open HS tryouts for spectators?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Tryouts begin next monday here. It looks like those outdoor tryouts are going to be indoors this year. We still have a foot or more of snow on the field with below freezing temps forecast for the next week+.

IT could be worse for us, we could be baseball. Our varsity baseball field is right next to the teachers parking lot and some genius decided that it would be a great spot to put the excess snow. There is a 12-15 foot pile of snow right on the first baseline.
Wow, that wasn't smart. Our tryouts were postponed again with schools being closed. DD made the first cut though for varsity and it's killing us waiting to hear!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Try-outs were canceled yesterday because of weather. Try-outs start today. DD really worked hard too try and make varsity. Varsity is going to SC for a spring tourney. There will be some tears if DD doesn't make varsity....mine:(....DD won't be happy either.

Sep 3, 2009
and entertaining to watch the freshman noob parents.

To me, this is the best part of HS softball. I love hearing the stories of how little Princess is getting phone calls from the UCLA coach, or how their TB team is #2 ranked B team in the state. LOL. I can never tell if they're just embellishing on their kids, or think so highly of me that they feel the need to impress me...

Just remember that squirrel poop is full of nuts. ;)

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
For DD's school they havent even addressed the possibility.

When DD was a freshmen I wanted sooooo bad to see the competition that DD was up against.

But with sooo many factors affecting who is going to be on varsity, outside of skill level, I talked myself out of those thoughts right away.

"So don't go" - is what I would suggest.

Otherwise you WILL get that helicopter title placed on you to some degree. :)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
We had the team/parents meeting a week or so ago. The coach said that with the indoor practices if parents want to come in and see what they are doing, they are more then welcome. My dd looks right at me and shakes her head.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Our tryouts and practices are open. Seniors from the previous teams weren't going to be cut according to the coaches. Their parents were the only ones that stayed to watch from what I hear and few at that.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Our tryouts and practices are open. Typically 1-4 parents are there watching. I usually only go if I am taking pictures (I do an end of the year video). I might add, the parents that are watching are usually at the left field fence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck