Olympics 2021

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2015
What is going on is that it probably wouldn't have been included in the Olympics had they not made that deal..I don't like it either but those comparisons are not apples to apples..the field dimensions are correct.

Nah. Not buying it.
They could have included softball and put it in a proper field. Would have cost very little….

My guess is the IOC has handicapped softball as part of its on-going dispute with the MLB, whose owners have refused for decades to interrupt their season and send their stars to the Olympics. It’s softball as collateral damage in the war over Olympic baseball.

Jul 31, 2015
Where’s the Oklahoma hitters when you need them. Ok they squeezed by today. Even so, not liking who is and isn’t on the team.

100%

In their zeal to beat Japan and reclaim gold, USA Softball put players with Olympic experience on the team, but in the process robbed the sport of its existing momentum and rising viewership.

it’s a lost opportunity.

Jul 5, 2016
On a different topic, why are so many players wearing long-sleeves? Japan sets the standard for hot and humid this time of year. Worse than Ft. Stewart, Ga. and that shocked me back in the day.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
On a different topic, why are so many players wearing long-sleeves? Japan sets the standard for hot and humid this time of year. Worse than Ft. Stewart, Ga. and that shocked me back in the day.

It's a dry-fit fabric (I have no idea the blend/technology) that wicks moisture away from the body to aid in cooling. The material breaths really well and if you can get a breeze can actually feel cool. Cotton doesn't breath well or wick moisture. It traps moisture which then can cause you to overheat (in hot weather) or become too cold (in winter weather) after sweating. Maybe someone smarter than me can explain it better. I've attended a few of DD's tournaments in July/August and worn a long sleeve like that. People look at me crazy but I stay pretty comfortable. The other big part is just keeping the direct sun off of the skin.

Jul 5, 2016
It's a dry-fit fabric (I have no idea the blend/technology) that wicks moisture away from the body to aid in cooling. The material breaths really well and if you can get a breeze can actually feel cool. Cotton doesn't breath well or wick moisture. It traps moisture which then can cause you to overheat (in hot weather) or become too cold (in winter weather) after sweating. Maybe someone smarter than me can explain it better. I've attended a few of DD's tournaments in July/August and worn a long sleeve like that. People look at me crazy but I stay pretty comfortable. The other big part is just keeping the direct sun off of the skin.

Interesting. I could have used that when I was in the Army.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
@RADcatcher what do you think of the Japanese catching style? It kind of freaks me out.
Looks quick peppy and ready!

Coaches/people have discussions regarding the catchers movement behind the plate. Yes...no...?
? Sit in the middle reach and lean. Reaching to pitches.
Or
? Set up more in-line with pitch location! Frame in front.

*Prefer set up in-line with pitch location. Doesnt have to be a lot. Matter of only inches sometimes more.

This Japan/C. we can see that with good timing it can be done. Will say she had some range in her movement set up.
(also perhaps her body size maybe small And could appear more dramatic than a larger catcher not moving as far)
i also would set up on the sides of plate edges middle of chest.
*Body frames the plate and
*Glove frames the pitch
Catchers shoulders Square Off
The Zone in front of the catcher.
Can easily frame from shoulder to shoulder.
No reaching. No leaning.
Clean.
Also better prepaired behind the pitch for defense and ability to react into throw.
(Balanced/strong- not stretched into lean.)

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Not RAD, that catcher has cost her pitcher several called strikes!
Ahh :) so the catcher can influence the pitch results!!!

She does move with range back there.
would wager everything she's doing is highly micromanaged.

Cost the pitcher strikes?
Or
Intenionally missed?
Or
did the pitcher walk the batter when it happened?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00