Olympics 2021

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Australia will have Stepto who they pitched in front of Gabbie Plain despite them being basically the same age so you can see what they think of her. So they have every expectation that they will have both of those pitchers in '28. Australia's pro-league is not as good as Japan's but there is plenty of places to continue to play and they may continue to use the NPF as a place to continue to try out players over time.

Stepto is supposed to play for Oregan State next season. Not sure if she is still going to or not. Be very interesting if she does..

Apr 26, 2019
Really?.......Then maybe the Mens USA soccer team should get a bunch of Brazilians, maybe then they can win a World Cup......
I haven't read past this post so I don't know if I has been covered. That said, it doesn't work that at way and in some ways it does.

As you likely know, different nations have different citizenship requirements. For example, Italy and Ireland will grant citizenship to an individual if they have a grandparent (great grandparent maybe?) who was born there. Israel has "right of return" and will grant any Jewish person (and their spouse)citizenship, though I believe they have to immigrate to Israel.

If this girl from NJ meets Italy's requirements for citizenship, for all intents and purposes, she is as much an Italian citizen as someone who was born in Turin provided she has completed the proper process.

Italy has three Brazilians on their European Cup winning National soccer team. All have Italian Citizenship through one way or another.

The rub is, you'd have to find Brazilians, Italians , Mexicans or whatever who don't see a future for themselves with their country's national team or are eligible and think they can "do better" (See Declan Rice and Jack Grealish of England) and have not played a competitive game at the senior level. I know of at least one woman who was eligible to play for Mexico after being born in America. After a time decided she was good enough to play for the USWNT. I don't believe it has worked out for her at all.

The USMNT has brought in a couple of men recently with dual citizenship of USA and Germany. They were "fine". Not great but fine, otherwise they likely would have preferred playing for Germany as they grew up there and Germany is considerably better.

Ah heck, I forgot where I was going with this but have typed so much it would be a shame to delete it. And this friends, was your Discuss Fastpitch soccer minute.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
If this girl from NJ meets Italy's requirements for citizenship, for all intents and purposes, she is as much an Italian citizen as someone who was born in Turin provided she has completed the proper process.

Both of her parents were born in Italy and still have a home there. She has dual citizenship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Great post, right on the money! I know they’ve been brought up already but I swear Oklahoma’s entire roster would have been much more entertaining to watch!

After that crazy double play, the softball Gods we’re smiling on Japan, at that point it was over!

Yes, I said the same thing a loud. It’s over after that play.

Nov 8, 2020
Don't think I've watched anything from the Olympics this year. Had to be at the fields around the time the game started this morning but not much interest in any of the Olympics this year

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Jul 13, 2019
I don't know where you live, but we live in Michigan and I see a lot of Demarini's being used. I also see some people using Ghosts. In fact my son wants my granddaughter to get a ghost. I think the problem is if you play HS ball in Michigan a lot of the time the temperature is below or at 50 degrees and at that temperature I think you're going to crack that Ghost. We've had a Demarini for 3-4 years and the first one cracked after 2 years and the second one is still going strong. You said that some players are using a bat that was made 5 years ago. I think that actually says one or two things. One the fact that the bat is still being used shows that it is durable (I would say very durable.) The other thing might be that the player is pretty superstitious and won't give it up.

Feb 24, 2021
I am surprised nobody has brought this up yet ... OLYMPIC SOFTBALL!!!!

Japan vs. Australia is airing right now on NBC Sports. USA vs. Italy will be on at 10:00(CST).

I'm glad the diamond sports are back, but it looks like they hopped in a time machine back to the 1980s. We know shorts are a part of the international game (Japan is wearing them) ... and there is something about the way some of the Australian players are wearing hats under their helmets that look like it is hand-me-down baseball gear from their big brothers ... but the field, OY. They set up a temp field on a baseball field. They cut a square section of turf up for the pitching area. There is temporary netting for the backstop and all the way down past the dugouts ... which are free floating benches behind the temp fence ...

I feel like I am going to have to get in the car and drive down to the gas station just to use the bathroom!

Honestly, it is pretty shameful for a presentation of games on a stage like the Olympics. It's what I would expect at a weekend youth tournament playing at a baseball facility.

OK, enough complaining ... it really is GREAT to have you back!

There should have been a separate field for softball. Granted, USA played quite well and even though they lost, it was great to see softball back. Not sure if it will be on the docket in Paris in 24 but remember, LA's got the 28 games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22