Olympics 2021

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I saw what I saw!
I know what that means from a very close perspective...

Lets remember if the umpire can be fooled...
They can also be foolish.

To some that comes across as mean, but really it is realistic.

There are many hair line calls in everygame. Some bigger calls.
With variances that can go either way.

Could easily say
(As you mentioned)
The familiarity or unfamiliarity of the umpire to players mechanics may create a learning curve for the umpire...
Or not.
(which i think could also be said of umpires just being able to follow pitchers pitches they havent seen befor- spin-movement-mechanics-release)

Do see she has made full body re-locations in her peppy perky manuevers.
Perhaps more than others would.
But change the umpire and it could swing the other way 🤫

Aug 17, 2019
100%

In their zeal to beat Japan and reclaim gold, USA Softball put players with Olympic experience on the team, but in the process robbed the sport of its existing momentum and rising viewership.

it’s a lost opportunity.
Totally agree. Dads were watching the game and cheering especially when the walk off occurred. The girls didn't even care. My daughter told me they don't know these players and can't relate.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Totally agree. Dads were watching the game and cheering especially when the walk off occurred. The girls didn't even care. My daughter told me they don't know these players and can't relate.

The only difference for my DD is that she is just recently finding interest in watching the game on television. She's loved to play and watch softball live, but the TV side bored her. This year that changed and started with the WCWS. I think knowing softball would be back in the Olympics helped that. So, for her, she's just now learning players at the collegiate level. She's starting to look up players and reference their names during games.

But, as a pitcher, she has real interest in Abbott and Osterman. And seeing them live has been a treat for her. She'd always heard their names referenced, but is too young to have seen them pitch in college. Now she can see them compete on the world stage and she's really enjoying it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Share this piece of the journey

As a young child,
Prayed that Softball would be in the Olympics.

As a teenager on Batbusters i used to hit extra grounders/flyballs to others who wanted more.
Our team and the younger team.
Would encourage, stay low, load leg muscles, quick feet and glove/transition work. Hitting the ball fierce and sharp, challenging them.

After playing 4 yrs. in college.
Then total reconstruction on my glove arm shoulder, from diving repeatedly :)
And
Coaching at Long Beach State at 22 years old.
Then playing 7 years of womens div. And... Another orthoscopic surgery on my glove side shoulder.
As a young adult older twenties,
Received a letter in the mail with the news and opportunity to come tryout for the 1st Olympic softball team.
Made it thru 2 rounds.

👉On that first Olympic team were several of the players i new from the Batbusters.
The younger players who took extra grounders/flyballs.
A few others went on to coach.
Trivia~ Anyone recognize the name
Head Coach Jenny Allard?

When i went to an exhibition game those players came out to the stands where I was sitting...and acknowledged me.
Truely Amazing !!!

Luv what softball can do !

Took it very serious training to get in the best shape i could be for tryouts. This is kinda a souvenir picture of that effort, was helping carry a friend sitting on a 2"x4" .
... terry cloth bathroom slippers. :)

Attachments

• 20150927_071447(1)-1.jpg
    20150927_071447(1)-1.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802