Olivia, 11 Years Old or: "Another season down, another season of random swing mechanics during each at bat"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I think a better way to frame this would be "If some certain percentage of exit velocity is due to bat compression (trampoline effect?), is a larger percentage of THAT percentage due to the pitched ball at younger ages than it is at older ages". I would assume the answer is yes, although I don't know that there is a good way to determine that.
The bat manufacturers are likely designing their bats, e.g. the design parameters which go into the trampoline effect, for bat speeds obtained by HS/College kids so when a smaller kid with bat speeds below that hits she is hitting off-design. That is also why getting the greatest bat in the world for a 75 lb kid is probably a waste of money..

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I think a better way to frame this would be "If some certain percentage of exit velocity is due to bat compression (trampoline effect?), is a larger percentage of THAT percentage due to the pitched ball at younger ages than it is at older ages". I would assume the answer is yes, although I don't know that there is a good way to determine that.
Careful, you know pattar is here watching!

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
So one of you is technically correct and one of you is right but for wrong-ish reasons. I declare myself the real loser since I'm the one that has to watch my kid play Whack-A-Mole on home plate, with a $400 bat :LOL:

Jun 8, 2016
So one of you is technically correct and one of you is right but for wrong-ish reasons. I declare myself the real loser since I'm the one that has to watch my kid play Whack-A-Mole on home plate, with a $400 bat :LOL:
Well a good part of hitting is hitting is confidence so if having the best bat available can help with that then it may be worth it..feel better? ;)

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
Well a good part of hitting is hitting is confidence so if having the best bat available can help with that then it may be worth it..feel better? ;)

We are talking about a kid who I caught sneaking an old, ratty pair of jeans under her coat yesterday, because she was going to change into them at school, because they went with her outfit better (and I've told her she can't wear them every day). I don't know if she has enough sense to be confident over a bat :LOL:

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Me being cheap as heck, when I saw her pre-pitch routine the first thing I thought of was "I hope she doesn't break the endcap.." LOL!!
Back in the 14U days, this lady from our church asked me if I'd take her DD to our field and work with her, she was going to try out for her school team (you'd have to know this girl :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:), anyway Anna has a glove on (she's actually holding it in her right hand) and is standing at SS.

After the first bucket, she starting making decent contact, well she was getting all excited........around the end of the 3rd bucket with this huge grin of accomplishment and with less than 10 balls left she starts slamming the bat on home plate (hard)! I told her once, please don't do that........she did it one more time and apologized, again!

That was on a Sunday afternoon, the next day before practice even started, Anna walked up to me and handed me this 2014 LTX and said "bump it on the ground Dad", that idiot broke Anna's favorite bat! I never said a word the the parents although I wanted to take that bat and do a Tonya Harding to this girl's knee! Very valuable (expensive) lesson learned on my part, I'm the idiot!

Every now and then when I see this girl at church, I think "you cost me $275!", very churchy of me!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi