Olivia, 11 Years Old or: "Another season down, another season of random swing mechanics during each at bat"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
As far as your DD muscling up to get the ball to the grass, its not required...

We are on the same page about that. I just meant kids who ARE able to, can sometimes use that hide being late on their move, or out of sequence and she can't get away with it, so this flaw is exposing her.

Oct 2, 2017
We are on the same page about that. I just meant kids who ARE able to, can sometimes use that hide being late on their move, or out of sequence and she can't get away with it, so this flaw is exposing her.

Ah, I see what your saying. It's frustrating to, because i've seen so many times players who have really bad mechanics send the ball out there, but here your DD with better mechanics struggles to do the same.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
Right. IMO, a good way to determine whether or not a kid is thinking yes,yes,yes or yes,yes,no on every pitch, or if she is waiting to see if it is a strike before doing anything, is does she ever check swing in a game? How about in BP?

She rarely strikes out on a 2 or 3 pitch at bat, and gets the count to full fairly often. What looks like good plate discipline is probably just waiting too long to decide if it's a strike and being able to take balls and foul off balls that she probably doesn't really have any business getting the bat on. Better to be lucky than good, I guess.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I gotta say, I do love her attitude in the box, fearless! Us Dads want our girls crushing the ball every time they're at the plate, what Dad doesn't want that? She's very young OsDad, and with what I see in those videos, she'll get there!

Anna too would always overcompensate for being late with her fast hands! Getting them to know exactly why they're late is the key! There's been some great points / posts here, just don't want to overwhelm her, gotta keep it simple!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
She is seeing pretty fast pitching there, maybe even at 10U (?) which would be from 35 feet. A high-level pitcher throwing 50 mph from 35 feet is in some ways the 'fastest' pitcher she'll ever face!
Rich is right, once Olivia learns that the pitcher is supplying the majority of the power, all she has to do is time it up, the ball will go!

Jun 8, 2016
Rich is right, once Olivia learns that the pitcher is supplying the majority of the power, all she has to do is time it up, the ball will go!
:unsure:

in baseball about 85% of exit velocity is due to bat speed..I am sure it is similar for softball.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
I think a better way to frame this would be "If some certain percentage of exit velocity is due to bat compression (trampoline effect?), is a larger percentage of THAT percentage due to the pitched ball at younger ages than it is at older ages". I would assume the answer is yes, although I don't know that there is a good way to determine that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23