Ole Miss and UCLA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I thought I heard one of announcer at one point say that Lee had thrown every pitch of Ole Miss's last 12 games. After last night's marathon, how much more can she have in the tank? Do they have any other pitchers??

Lee is very resilient and may have a lot more in the tank then we may realize, they had 2 pitchers warming up in the pen according to the announcer at one point last night. According to the roster they have 2 more pitchers.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Mowatt did it all at UofA. i don't know what she will advise the staff. My opinion was, that Mowatt was never the same, after that.
I am rewatching the game, now.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I stayed up for the whole game here. It ended just after midnight, which was not what I had planned for the evening. I'd been up late the last couple of nights so figured on getting to bed earlier. But then I got caught up in it, especially when Ole Miss tied it up after being no-hit for 5 innings. Incredible game.

One thing I noticed is too many balls getting away from catchers. I understand late in the game, when they might be tired, but it happened earlier too. Each side gave up a run or two because a catcher did not sufficiently block a pitch in the dirt and it scooted away sideways. It was a real clinic on the importance of positioning yourself so that if it does bounce off of you, it goes back onto the field rather than toward the dugouts. Also a clinic on the importance of trying to kill the ball down instead of glove it or let it rebound too far off of you.

I think Ole Miss is in a tough spot right now pitching-wise. Lee looked like she was running on fumes last night, so not sure she can throw an entire game again. Even if she does, those UCLA hitters got a lot of looks at her last night. By now they may have figured her out. If either one of those is the case, Ole Miss better be ready to put someone else in there and roll the dice.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
I stayed up for the whole game here. It ended just after midnight, which was not what I had planned for the evening. I'd been up late the last couple of nights so figured on getting to bed earlier. But then I got caught up in it, especially when Ole Miss tied it up after being no-hit for 5 innings. Incredible game.

One thing I noticed is too many balls getting away from catchers. I understand late in the game, when they might be tired, but it happened earlier too. Each side gave up a run or two because a catcher did not sufficiently block a pitch in the dirt and it scooted away sideways. It was a real clinic on the importance of positioning yourself so that if it does bounce off of you, it goes back onto the field rather than toward the dugouts. Also a clinic on the importance of trying to kill the ball down instead of glove it or let it rebound too far off of you.

I think Ole Miss is in a tough spot right now pitching-wise. Lee looked like she was running on fumes last night, so not sure she can throw an entire game again. Even if she does, those UCLA hitters got a lot of looks at her last night. By now they may have figured her out. If either one of those is the case, Ole Miss better be ready to put someone else in there and roll the dice.

Yep catcher could have gotten around that pitch and bounced it back towards the plate.

Lee was running out of gas last night. She caught a little too much of that outside corner and Bubba Nickels made her pay. Bubba had struggled with the outside pitch in earlier at bats but made the adjustment when it counted. Great game.

99% chance Lee goes back out there. 6 at bats against Lee for the UCLA batters last night.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Hopefully, they don't make the same mistake Kentucky made a couple of years ago - riding only Nunley.

Although, wth today's sport recovery....it might not make a difference.

Sep 4, 2015
Georgia
Great game!! I had to finish it this morning though. I just love Lee's spirit. She's dancing and cheering - you can feel her energy. I don't know how much she has left in the tank but I have a feeling she's like Paige Parker was for OU last year and will carry them the entire post season.

Mar 26, 2013
Who will UCLA throw and what is wrong with Garcia's stride leg?
Garcia tore an ACL last year.
Garcia injured the knee 2 years ago in 13th inning of HS championship game and red-shirted last year while still recovering. They initially thought it was 'just' a torn meniscus, however they discovered the ACL was also torn while repairing the meniscus.
Softball: Highland’s UCLA-bound pitcher Rachel Garcia indeed tore her ACL | Daily News High School Sports Spotlight

I expect UCLA will start Selina Ta'amilo and hope either she has a great game - like against Oregon and Arizona - and/or they outscore Ole Miss. If not, a rested Garcia pitches game 3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi