Old bats still good bats?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2014
I am joining a softball team and have a ton of bats that were my dads when he played softball in some of his younger days. The bats are not cracked but are like 15-20yrs old. Do softball bats go dead/bad? Should I just buy a new one?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Not sure if the bats would be considered "dead", but current bat technology vs. 15-20 years ago is like night and day. It you have the resources buy a newer bat, even if it is a "used" composite bat.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
First, we need to know the type of bats make, length and weight. And then, are you wanting to use them in girl's softball? Or are you using them in men's slow pitch? What sticker do they have on them? 2004?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Depending on the organization you're playing under, most older bats don't meet the current/recent safety standards and would be considered illegal.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I'm assuming since you said they were your dad's old bats...you are talking for slowpitch?

I would need to know what they were. But if you want a general answer...no, they aren't as good as the newer bats. If you are saying they are 20 years old, they are prob just hunks of aluminum they used to use years ago. TPS had a few good bats with the power domes, Superiors and the rubber plug bat. Worth had the PST and Est's. Depends how far back you are talking. These aren't bad, still no where near todays bats, but decent nonetheless.

If you can give some ideas of what you have, I can help more if you have any decent ones. Also, you might have a rare piece and not even know it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves