Oh boy, what to do

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
New rule - PC is limited to 10 posts/day!

And FWIW, IMO a #2 catcher on a U16 or older TB team should be seeing 35-50% of the innings or else the TB team likely isn't going to be very good. And if that #2 catcher is the weak link on the team, she should get MORE playing time than the #1 in order to improve so that the team becomes stronger.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
No we said NO such thing to the parent... where did you get that from?

That was my mistake on the "Shut up" I changed that....I went back and reread the the #1 ...It was... stay out of it, I guess It just felt like you said shut up to me.... I kinda got an overload of things to answer. Got in a hurry, normally I read all before I comment. I read it but4 pages later I got mixed up...

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Doesn't matter the reason why she didn't want to play, you allowed her to make that decision, would you have done the same thing if she said I want to play on this team?

Oh boy, you have many years left. I will tell you this though, I have seen many, many players that were "great" at the 10U and even 12U level, but when it came to 14U the other players caught up and passed those players in ability. Not saying that will happen to your DD, but it is a fact.

OK so you would sit out and work on catching. May I ask how is your curveball, or drop, or rise, or screw?

I not only let her but I kept making her through the the first 6 times she said she wanted to. Each of the six things were just down right dis-ingeniousness to her. I couldn't rule them out any longer. I only hung to try and get a trophy...When we did, that was it. I was exonerated because of them losing two teams. I wasn't the only one I guess... I never said a word to anyone. When the other girls pumped DD I told her to tell them she didn't want to talk about it.

Yea I know about the burn out...stuff. But I also know more about the... "if you can't throw right by 12, you never will"

No actually Pitching...catching is something she don't really work on, but she can just do, better than most others, I have no problem with her being #2 catcher. We have a girl how takes catching lessons, so you know that certifies her as #1...haha...But DD came in and gives her some free lessons when she is not playing SS and pitching... I pitch to her, and yes I can throw all the above pitches, and she can catch them and pitch them too along with the back flip CU. Are U trying to recruit her? We found a easy way to be picked up as pitcher. Her coach says that He wants 3 pitchers, with different styles and speeds. DD pitches Mens New Zealand Style. Never see others doing it. Since she don't throw like a girl, why pitch like one?

Just figured out why I'm in trouble in this thread, after I had to go looking for it, its in the Coaches Fourm...didn't realize it till now...

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
DD pitches Mens New Zealand Style. Never see others doing it. Since she don't throw like a girl, why pitch like one?

That's because they're illegal in women's softball. I can show you many, many pictures of New Zealand men (and the Aussies, our men pitch pretty similarly) when they're fully off the air. If you're teaching your daughter to pitch like this you're setting her up for a lifetime of 'Illegeal Pitch'

I can also show you a number of friends whose arms are SHOT.

Pitching Circle you remind me a LOT of a former coach. He was convinced his daughter's can do no wrong. He has a massive chip on his shoulder too. No-one in the softball community can stand him. You keep down this road, you're going to make your daughter not wanted by ANY team. (unless she is the rare, rare player who is the top echelon)

Coach Kevin, I don't think there's a lot you can do sadly.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I not only let her but I kept making her through the the first 6 times she said she wanted to. Each of the six things were just down right dis-ingeniousness to her. I couldn't rule them out any longer. I only hung to try and get a trophy...When we did, that was it. I was exonerated because of them losing two teams. I wasn't the only one I guess... I never said a word to anyone. When the other girls pumped DD I told her to tell them she didn't want to talk about it.

Yea I know about the burn out...stuff. But I also know more about the... "if you can't throw right by 12, you never will"

No actually Pitching...catching is something she don't really work on, but she can just do, better than most others, I have no problem with her being #2 catcher. We have a girl how takes catching lessons, so you know that certifies her as #1...haha...But DD came in and gives her some free lessons when she is not playing SS and pitching... I pitch to her, and yes I can throw all the above pitches, and she can catch them and pitch them too along with the back flip CU. Are U trying to recruit her? We found a easy way to be picked up as pitcher. Her coach says that He wants 3 pitchers, with different styles and speeds. DD pitches Mens New Zealand Style. Never see others doing it. Since she don't throw like a girl, why pitch like one?

Just figured out why I'm in trouble in this thread, after I had to go looking for it, its in the Coaches Fourm...didn't realize it till now...

Nope I would touch her with a 10' pole, because you ARE one of those parents. Sorry to say but I would be willing to bet that your DD has the same attitude as you do. It's going to be a long lonely road for you and her.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
That was my mistake on the "Shut up" I changed that....I went back and reread the the #1 ...It was... stay out of it, I guess It just felt like you said shut up to me.... I kinda got an overload of things to answer. Got in a hurry, normally I read all before I comment. I read it but4 pages later I got mixed up...

Thats because it hit close to home. People get defensive on comments not directed at them because they realize "that's me, he is talking about me".

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
That's because they're illegal in women's softball. I can show you many, many pictures of New Zealand men (and the Aussies, our men pitch pretty similarly) when they're fully off the air. If you're teaching your daughter to pitch like this you're setting her up for a lifetime of 'Illegeal Pitch'

Within the rules of course Lozza, Do you think that was a bad way to go, emulating New Zealand Men Pitchers ???

I'm not a coach... like your former... I'm a Crazy Dad, who agrees with the lady who is going to pull her daughter to go play B, or you can say get some more practice... until shes ready for prime time. I have done the same thing, and will do it again if needed. I don't interfere with the coaching, I just do the parenting...that was the issue. I'm not seeing that as a chip. I get her ready to compete against the best, then I stand back and watch the games. Then I can see what we need to work on. Pitching and Batting will take the rest of our lives, and you need to work on them daily. I'm just now starting on hitting this week.

10u is along way from when you are really tested like 4 yrs. Its like T-Ball...35' & 11" ball.... rec, b, a....It don't make difference where you play. Its the practice that makes the player. If you get where you agree with the fundamental mechanicals, and a team, then your good. If not your better off just working on them without the constant changing from everyone's interruption of them, the more teachers you are involved with, the cloudier it gets. To just go get on another team just means more interpretations.

If I get where my DD is not wanted by a ANY teams because of me, then I guess we'll, try ping pong. It will be her turn to do something I like this time..

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Thats because it hit close to home. People get defensive on comments not directed at them because they realize "that's me, he is talking about me".

OK I got you. I sure hope she don't run away from home and join a team with coaches who know more than me. Guess I better really keep up on being the valedictorian, looks like were not going to make it very easy in Fastpitch. I knew I should have made her Mom practice with her. If you want to bet on her attitude, you would be safe to put the farm on.... shes just like her Mom.

Still with the Lady who wants to quit :{))

May 25, 2010
I'm sorry, but its way more than me just supporting. I see to it that she throws the ball everyday. I catch every ball. I pitch every catch. If it was left up to coaches, mother, and big College BB pitcher bro. she would be a cheerleader.

In order to play at the level she has been the last two years, you have to have a pitching coach. She is able to use me for that too. My work is excepted by her org. Its we. Does that give you more insight??? My choice was to make it be real easy for her., so we can focus on all the other stuff, I'm not interested in. Mom is the homework Nazi... Softball is our thing. She has 4 one hour lesson weekly. She has turned the corner on softball. She has workedout with the local college girls(Naacc). She sees the picture, and so have they. She has D1 one written all over her.

I'm not offended by any comments on here, I know I'm a little out there but, I like to think I'm honest.
You are honest. I do not devalue the work you put in at all. I remember you going into a long diatribe about what you'd done to teach your DD to throw and then you later posted a video and there was no question in my mind that she throws better than the average 10u player. You're working with her to teach her the skills she'll need to be successful in the game.

I think parents should be able to see extraordinary potential in our children, but I think we should also look at the lessons of the Todd Marinovich saga and make an effort to avoid going down that path ourselves, for the sake of our young people.

With that being said, I don't get to define anyone else's relationships. If you're convinced that your DD's success is entirely dependent upon you and the work you put in, then I'm not going to change your mind. She told you what she wants to do and you've decided she's going to be the best at it, so you're the only person for now who gets to dictate which courses of action are best suited to achieving your goals.

Also I got you mixed up with another poster on the ICEing the arm debate.
Ok, well at least that is cleared up. I like to limit the number of tiffs I am involved in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1