Oh boy, what to do

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Well after try-outs 16A team we chose the girls we would like and talked to them and their parents. One girl in particular, came out as a catcher. We have a great catcher already. We were straight up with them and told them we had a good catcher (in fact the girl and Mom knew our catcher and had seen her play) and that we would like her to join and be our 2nd catcher and play 3B. They accepted.

Saturday we are playing 3 games, this girl catches 1 game and plays 3rd almost all of the other 2 games. Mom comes to me after the games and starts talking that "She doesn't think her daughter will get enough catching time on this team, and that she wants her DD to be a catcher then a 3B, not a 3B then a catcher". The poor girl is obviously horrified that this is happening and tells her mom several times "Don't do this". I'm just the AC, so I tell our HC what is going on.

Come Sunday again we are playing 3 games; before the game HC tells me that he talked to the girl and she was embarrassed what her mom did, he asked her if she was OK with the catching time telling her she would get 1/3 of the time. The girl says yes she is. She caught the first game. Inbetween games I see HC talking to her mom. Afterward, HC comes to me and says mom wants her DD to be a #1 catcher and thinks that moving her to a B team will be better for her.

It's sad because I really like the kid and she has a great bat. She is a good catcher, but not great like our #1. I think HC is going to boot her, only because of mom (which I can see why) but it makes me sad because the kid doesn't want to leave, but if this is happening after the first tournament of Fall, we can only imagine what will happen during Summer.

I guess the reason of this whole thread is for parents to remember that it's your DD's game. If she is happy stay out of it!!!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
It sounds to me like Mom is moving the kid, not the coach is booting her.

If the girl wants to be a catcher, its really the right thing for her to be on a team where she will catch more often. Its just too bad that mom didn't understand the role or the #2 catcher even after it was explained to her

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sounds like you were upfront with everyone but sometimes it does not look as good when the games start. For parents, coaches or players.

Too bad it might not work out but I can be a meddler too.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
It's more of Mom wanting her to be the #1 catcher. When talking to the girl, she expressed that she understood and she was good with it, that is unless the girl wasn't being honest with us (but she sure seemed to be). It hard for me because I feel that her catching full time for a B team will still be less than if she caught part time with A pitchers. But not my kid, so whatever.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
Mom probably thought her DD was the better catcher and it would not take much for the coaches to "see the light". Mom is not thinking long term. If this player wants to play college ball she better be on an A team now. Where we come from fall ball is mostly showcase tournaments so I don't see why the catching can't be equal. If number 2 catcher gets more innings now she will be all the better in the summer when it counts and you do need to give your number one innings off.

When we were young parents and our first born entered high school we were told by a head football coach if he heard from any parents about playing time or positions the kid would be held accountable and playing time would less. That lesson stuck with us.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Mom probably thought her DD was the better catcher and it would not take much for the coaches to "see the light". Mom is not thinking long term. If this player wants to play college ball she better be on an A team now. Where we come from fall ball is mostly showcase tournaments so I don't see why the catching can't be equal. If number 2 catcher gets more innings now she will be all the better in the summer when it counts and you do need to give your number one innings off.

When we were young parents and our first born entered high school we were told by a head football coach if he heard from any parents about playing time or positions the kid would be held accountable and playing time would less. That lesson stuck with us.

Well I would think that too, but Mom already knew who the #1 was, and in fact told us that she was a great catcher before they agreed to take a spot on the team. So IDK. Here Fall Ball is really just letting the girls get to know each other and for us to see where the ideal fit is.

Feb 3, 2011
I'm reading this the same way as Chinamigarden. I have a philosophy that takes into account player goals both now and in the long-term and what I'd suggest for a 16u player is usually not the same as I would for 10u.

I've told this story before, but we had a 10u player who quit our B/A team to go play for a beginner level B team, because they didn't want her to be 'a #3 pitcher' and were pretty rude about it. The player let me know that she wanted to be a #1 and did not think she would have that chance on this team. We had already told the player and parents we'd balance the innings almost equally during league play, but would generally ride the hot hands in our 2-3 main tournaments. Now they're complaining that her team isn't very good, doesn't play any defense, can't hit, etc. She would have played just as many innings as everyone else, but is pitching a lot more on the lower team.

If the parent is driving the kid to be #1 on a lower-level team, that's not a mindset I can work reinforce for MY club. If a parent does not want me mentoring a child to be the absolute best and learning to compete while also being a good teammate, then my team is not the team for them. Even if I'm convinced that my program is the best fit for a player, if their family doesn't feel the same, then they're not going to pay the money for her to play with us.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
None, HC no DD on team, my DD is Right Field :)
I guess the reason of this whole thread is for parents to remember that it's your DD's game. If she is happy stay out of it!!!

Check must have cleared, Coaches back up off their hands and knees posture, and back to the parents "stay out of it" mode :{)) If it was her game, them you would let her call the pitches, and set the line up & batting order.

How can you stay out of it with your DD ? Kids could be Happy just setting around watching TV, or playing video games. Now mine is getting happy just setting out in the garage texting.

The Mom is thinking long term...full rides only go to pitchers/catchers. If she can't beat the #1 catcher out, then she needs to play more @ catcher. And to the coaches whos DD does make it to colleges, you'll be lucky if you make #3 on the grounds crew.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy523