Off Topic but sports related

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
Awesome! It reminds me of the story from earlier this year (I think) when a softball player hit a home run and tore her ACL rounding first. Two players from the opposing team picked her up and let her touch each base so that she was awarded her home run.

Apr 25, 2010
I understand the "feel good" message of this video, but now I'm going to be the jerk.

Wrestling is not exactly an activity for a person that severely disabled. Would you put a blind kid in the pitching circle? A couple years ago, there was a deaf girl in my son's school choir. :confused:

I'm not saying that persons with disabilities shouldn't be accommodated in order to make tasks easier for them. It is something else entirely to put a child, who cannot walk on their own, or control their own bodily movements, on a wrestling mat with a normally functioning child.

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
I really did not want to start a debate on the description of disabilities and who decides who gets to engage in an activity or not. This is a slippery slope that no one should judge. Heck, our illustrious U.S. senate recently rejected a U.N. treaty on the rights of the disabled that is modeled after the landmark American With Disabilities Act.
The clip shows sportsmanship, something that seems to be lacking these days in all facets of our lives. On another note, we should not forget people like Anthony Robles from Arizona State, who was born with one leg, and won an NCAA Wrestling national championship. We should also remember people like musical composers Beethoven and Pete Townsend who wrote and performed masterpieces while being considered deaf.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Odd that you should mention pitching. I grew up watching a blind man pitch, so that isn't a good example. He had no sight at all. Second base stood up even with him. So, you just never can tell. I do believe that this instance was the only time that the young man was put into a match. It happens in football and basketball where plays are designed to let one person score, who normally wouldn't be able to. I had a Downs Syndrome girl play for me one year.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I really did not want to start a debate on the description of disabilities and who decides who gets to engage in an activity or not. This is a slippery slope that no one should judge. Heck, our illustrious U.S. senate recently rejected a U.N. treaty on the rights of the disabled that is modeled after the landmark American With Disabilities Act.
The clip shows sportsmanship, something that seems to be lacking these days in all facets of our lives. On another note, we should not forget people like Anthony Robles from Arizona State, who was born with one leg, and won an NCAA Wrestling national championship. We should also remember people like musical composers Beethoven and Pete Townsend who wrote and performed masterpieces while being considered deaf.

First of all let me say that I admire people that have a disability, and decide to do what they want anyway...Oscar Pritorious, the South African runner with two prosthetic legs from this last summer Olympics also comes to mind.

But I can't imagine that Pritorius or Anthony Robles ever wanted any of their competitors to "intentionally" lose a competition so that they could win. Probably a bit different situation than the middle school wrestler, but something to think about.

M

Mako

Do you know the person who is going to own Donkey milk cheese?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom