Obstruction at Home

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Obstruction was called on a trainwreck at home, where the throw took the catcher into the runner. Runner went down hard and BU killed the play. When the runner finally got up, she went into the dugout. I tried to appeal to the blue that she walked into the dugout without touching home. All I got out of blue was, "Coach, I called obstruction on the catcher."

Does the runner still have to touch the base to score the run? She walked off the field on her own.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
The runners are always required to touch all bases when advancing, even awarded bases. If the obstructed runner did not touch home, it is an appealable infraction and the runner should have been called out on appeal.

Jun 22, 2008
Thank you comp! What I did find out before I was delegated to the dugout is that he used to be a D1 umpire and knows the rules better than me. :)

You should have used the magic word, "protest".

I ran into one of those umpires a couple of years ago helping my daughter. He called an unreported substitution violation without it being appealed by the opposing coach, then applied a completely incorrect penalty. I attempted to discuss the call with him and before I could say anything he informed me I did not want to get into a rules discussion with him because "he knew all the rules". Funny, because I detailed 2 pages worth of screwed up rules in a single middle school game he umpired.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I know I should have. Another team of ours had issues yesterday with the same umpire. He was very confrontational and started a sidetrack argument that I got sucked into. I did, however, win the my argument that his partner killed the play when the BR was on 2nd and that she should be returned. She was at 3rd when the dust settled. He then started to argue with his partner about the placement if the runner. He had a burr in his saddle today.

Jun 22, 2008
Comp, what if the runner was hurt badly? Still must touch the plate?

There is no exception, the runner must touch all bases or they are subject to being out on appeal. Remember the home rune in an NCAA game a few years ago where the girl blew out her knee rounding 1st and the defensive players carried her around the field? She had to legally touch all the bases or she would have been out. But, the umpires did err in not allowing her a substitute to finish running the bases.

Jul 4, 2012
There is no exception, the runner must touch all bases or they are subject to being out on appeal. Remember the home rune in an NCAA game a few years ago where the girl blew out her knee rounding 1st and the defensive players carried her around the field? She had to legally touch all the bases or she would have been out. But, the umpires did err in not allowing her a substitute to finish running the bases.

Yes, thanks. You are awesome here.

Sep 29, 2014

How does that work if it is a walk off HR and they had taken the girl off straight to the dugout and the defense just walked off the field, if no appeal is every made does the run score without touching the base?? Is the ump only making sure she touches the bases so that in case there is an appeal he can say for sure whether she touched the plate

Jun 22, 2008
A runner has to run the bases in order to score a run. So no, on a walk off home run the run would not count until the runner had run the bases.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish