Number of teams?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
I am curious to hear what other locations look like for number of ASA teams, specifically 14u teams. A friend of mine and I counted 16 different 14u teams that currently exist in our area. I am from the Moline, IL area with a population of around 380,000. Last year I could only name 10 or so, but this year there are several new teams that popped up. I think it is great that we have this many girls in the area that want to play the game of softball, but what I fear is that there is going to be a bunch of so-so teams that have 2 or 3 good players and a bunch of rec players that don't know what is coming their way. This will lead to folding of a bunch of teams (like ours did last year BTW).

So, how many teams does your area support?

Apr 25, 2010
In Ohio, there has been a huge outcropping of new teams over the last couple years. And what happens is exactly what you fear. Lots of teams with 2-3 good players, filled out with bodies. This year, it seems that it is sorting itself out a bit. Lots of teams combining with others, folding, or being absorbed by a larger organization.

"An average player looks great on a below average team"

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
Funny as I was just talking abou the same thing with some friends the other day .Just this year the 14U teams in our area seem to be coming out of the woodwork . It kind of seems like there is a lot of competition for 14U girls and it will be interesting to see what the final outcome is . My guess is that we will see a lot of 12U girls playing up .

Nov 29, 2009
Every year in the Chicagoland area there multiple "DDT's" (Disgruntled Dad Teams) that come and go. As with the other areas in the country there are a couple of good players on the teams with average players filling out the rosters. The talent pool gets diluted and the overall area talent is not what it should/could be. Another trend that I see happening is long-standing organizations are having 3 or more teams at the same age level which also contributes to the dilution problem.

Apr 6, 2012
In our area, we have seen an explosion in teams. And, yes, many of them are DDT's ( I love that!) The dilution of what is already limited talent in our state is staggering. What we have also seen is an increase in LHC's ( Lying Head Coaches ) or, as I like to call them, Snake Oil Salesmen. Coaches are promising 14 year old players positions on their Pretend Gold team ( Gold teams who have never been to Gold Nationals) in a few years, college scholarships, etc. The funny thing is that these are not the GOOD and real Gold team organizations who have actually been to Gold Nationals and who have a long history of success, but the start ups, pretenders, etc. They list kids who are not playing softball in college as recruited by colleges due to the hard work of their team. So, I guess the bottom line to parents is, 1. Buyer beware. 2. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

As to the organizations having two or three teams at each age group, I see this as an attempt by organizations to make money and to get kids locked into their organization with the promise that the second or third group at any age group is going to be as good as the first. We know this is not true. All this crap about the "showcase team" and the "elite team" is just that. Crap. I think there are just a few organizations who really know how to do this right, and none of them are in our area.

The other thing we have is a ton of B and C level teams who promise kids they will get recruited to play in college. We all know that, while it is possible for a great kid to be on a team of this level, it's not something coaches should promise at ANY level, much less B and C.

It makes it harder for all of us in our state because it definitely dilutes the talent pool and makes teams weaker. I don't begrudge anyone starting a team or doing their own thing. Just don't lie. Oh, and P.S. just like political campaigns, don't waste your time making derogatory comments about other teams, promote the good things you think your team has.

Jul 5, 2012
They list kids who are not playing softball in college as recruited by colleges due to the hard work of their team.

We have the same thing, a local team who lists "College Players" as kids who played for the organization but are in school not playing. At least they actually mark which ones are really playing in college. But for some reason they list the others are just listed under "College Players." I guess they want to make the list look longer.

There is no doubt that the number of teams have proliferated in recent years and the quality of play has eroded. A once proud organization in our area that used to play ASA ball is now down to a few teams playing USSSA B level tournaments. The whole county is like that, so my former college playing DD and I have embarked on a journey to bring ASA level teams back to our area. So count us in as one of the new organizations in the area, but I can't count myself as a disgruntled dad, unless you count me as disgruntled for the lack of quality ball in the area. We're in it because of the softball, and my DD who has a new passion in her life now that her college playing days are done: coaching. She always knew she wanted to coach, and now she has a chance to give back. Exciting times!

Apr 6, 2012
We have the same thing, a local team who lists "College Players" as kids who played for the organization but are in school not playing. At least they actually mark which ones are really playing in college. But for some reason they list the others are just listed under "College Players." I guess they want to make the list look longer.

There is no doubt that the number of teams have proliferated in recent years and the quality of play has eroded. A once proud organization in our area that used to play ASA ball is now down to a few teams playing USSSA B level tournaments. The whole county is like that, so my former college playing DD and I have embarked on a journey to bring ASA level teams back to our area. So count us in as one of the new organizations in the area, but I can't count myself as a disgruntled dad, unless you count me as disgruntled for the lack of quality ball in the area. We're in it because of the softball, and my DD who has a new passion in her life now that her college playing days are done: coaching. She always knew she wanted to coach, and now she has a chance to give back. Exciting times!

I think there is a difference. You are not out there trying to enshrine your daughter on a team of supporting players or make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. You are out there trying to stem the tide of this trend. Plus, there's a difference between coaching to give back to others and coaching for your own ego.

Good luck with it! It's hard because chances are many of the people who have daughters trying out won't get what you are doing. But, as a friend told me, keep your long term goal in mind!

Jul 5, 2012
Good luck with it! It's hard because chances are many of the people who have daughters trying out won't get what you are doing. But, as a friend told me, keep your long term goal in mind!

No doubt, we are running into that and we kind of expected it. Most of these kids have played pure rec ball or the park district travel teams. Was talking with a head coach of another team whose daughter was trying out, and explained our vision of ASA caliber teams. He tells me they played USSSA A and B tournaments and then proceeded to ask me if we were planning on playing USSSA C tournaments. Yeah, he didn't get it either. Many of these players and coaches have never played an elite team and have no idea how good the other players and teams can actually be.

Nov 29, 2009

I second this. Unfortunately Atlantabell, many parents will hesitate bringing their daughter's to your team. You are looking at where the players should be when they get to college. The LHC's are feeding them BS that doesn't go beyond the upcoming season. Often, the voice of experience is not what they want to hear. Many of them want to hear how great their DD will be the next season and how great this coach will make their daughter. They don't want to hear the realities of what it takes to play in college, much less get scholarship money to play.

Did I mention I HATE TRYOUT SEASON!!!! Had to vent a little... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd