NFHS Defensive Conferences

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2014
Hello!

I am hoping some of our friends in blue can walk me through the NFHS rule on defensive conferences. Maybe it's just me, but it seems particularly hard to understand.

How many conferences can I have as the head coach before I have to remove my pitcher?

If I remove my pitcher because I'm using my last conference can I bring her back later?

If I have a conference before I reach the limit and remove the pitcher, does it count toward my limit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

May 29, 2015
Quick version: It’s not. 3, no, no. 😁

You are allowed 3 defensive conferences before you are forced to remove your pitcher. (That’s three total, not three per pitcher.) IF you are in extra innings, you lose any of those that you have not used and are allowed 1 per inning.

If the pitcher is removed due to the conference limit, she may NOT re-enter as a pitcher.

Removing a pitcher does NOT count toward your charged conferences.

I can provide the citations later, if needed.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
How many conferences can I have as the head coach before I have to remove my pitcher?

Three defensive conferences without penalty

If I remove my pitcher because I'm using my last conference can I bring her back later?

If you are coming out and you have already had your third conference, then , no. if you have only had 2 or less previous conferences, yes, as changing pitcher doesn't count as a conference so this would not be considered a conference.

If I have a conference before I reach the limit and remove the pitcher, does it count toward my limit?

No - coming out to change pitcher does not count as a conference.

Note: Extra innings allow one additional conference during the inning (no they don't carry over to further extra innings)

Basically every time you come out to confer beyond 3 times without changing your pitcher, you must remove your pitcher for the duration of the game.

Relevant rule:

Rule: 3-7-1
ART. 1 . . . Each team, when on defense, may be granted not more than three charged conferences without penalty during a seven-inning game to permit coaches or their representatives to confer with a defensive player or players. In any extra-inning game, each team shall be permitted one charged conference without penalty each inning while on defense. The number of charged conferences permitted is not cumulative. A request for time for a conference may be made by a coach, player, substitute or bench personnel. Time granted for an obviously incapacitated player shall not constitute a charged conference. A conference is not charged when the pitcher is removed as pitcher. This defensive team charged conference rule coverage is effective when the ball first becomes live at the start of each half-inning.
NOTE: If the incoming pitcher has already pitched in the game, she will receive five warm-up pitches. When a pitcher is removed by rule and the incoming pitcher has not pitched in the game, the umpire is authorized to permit additional warm-up pitches.
PENALTY: (Art. 1) After three charged conferences in a seven-inning game, or for any charged conference in excess of one in each extra inning, the pitcher shall be removed as pitcher for the duration of the game.
[/quote][/QUOTE]

Oct 25, 2013
DFW Area
And by the way, a defensive conference should be charged when the D coach requests time to talk with any defensive player, not just the P.

Jun 22, 2008
Time does not even have to be called to have a charged conference. If the catcher goes over to the dugout and talks to the coach during a live ball, that is a charged conference.

Jan 8, 2019
Time does not even have to be called to have a charged conference. If the catcher goes over to the dugout and talks to the coach during a live ball, that is a charged conference.
Wow! I did not know this. Is this in all rule sets? (We're USA.) (I say wow like it's a shock that there is a rule I do not know, while reality is that it should not surprise me that there is yet another rule I do not know/understand.)

May 29, 2015
Generally, if you stop the flow of the game to communicate, an umpire is likely to charge you a conference. It doesn’t matter who you talk to.

Is that technically correct? Maybe. The NFHS definition of a charged conference is:
806B7423-E528-40EB-9A0D-AA41211DCE3A.jpeg

So what is a “request”? The definition does not say it has to be a direct verbal request. Walking out on the field or calling a player to the dugout are things that facilitate a stop in play to meet with team personnel. That’s a request in my book.

Regarding @Comp’s comment on a live ball ... in the end we need to kill it for there to be a conference. But if the catcher is wandering off while the ball is live and runners still moving on base, I’m not killing it.

Note, USA Softball does not have a definition of a conference, so a more liberal application is possible. In fact, USA Softball directs an offensive conference to be charged the second time a base coach leaves the coaching box to communicate (first time is a warning).

Jan 8, 2019
Generally, if you stop the flow of the game to communicate, an umpire is likely to charge you a conference. It doesn’t matter who you talk to.

Is that technically correct? Maybe. The NFHS definition of a charged conference is:
View attachment 16232

So what is a “request”? The definition does not say it has to be a direct verbal request. Walking out on the field or calling a player to the dugout are things that facilitate a stop in play to meet with team personnel. That’s a request in my book.

Regarding @Comp’s comment on a live ball ... in the end we need to kill it for there to be a conference. But if the catcher is wandering off while the ball is live and runners still moving on base, I’m not killing it.

Note, USA Softball does not have a definition of a conference, so a more liberal application is possible. In fact, USA Softball directs an offensive conference to be charged the second time a base coach leaves the coaching box to communicate (first time is a warning).
Now that you detailed that out a bit, I do recall many an instance where coach leaves box and is warned, and also when a player/coach begin to chat and the umpire asks if coach needs a t/o. Usually very lenient in their charging of conferences in tourneys we've been to, and rec league is almost always take the time you need, especially for teaching moments.

Jun 22, 2008
It isn't specifically stated in the rules that a catcher going to the dugout is a charged conference. It is in the case plays, and the case play references the rule on charged conferences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi