Newcomer To Sport--Terrified

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CMT

Jan 15, 2012
I was the only new girl to be cut. Their excuse was "you'll get hurt". I understand it's dangerous, but by that logic you should cut all the new girls, not just me. I intend to get amazing and make those morons deeply regret it.

Oct 25, 2009
I was the only new girl to be cut. Their excuse was "you'll get hurt". I understand it's dangerous, but by that logic you should cut all the new girls, not just me. I intend to get amazing and make those morons deeply regret it.

Make sure you get on a team somehow. Do they have rec ball in your area? If so, you MUST get on it. And work on your own in addition to your team work outs. Find someone who will work with you every week, or every day even.

If you want it! If you don't, that's fine also.

Mar 13, 2010

Don't go down on the others because they made it and you didn't. They'll be your teammates next year!

As others said keep trying. Ask the coach if you can train with the team. Explain that you're aware that you didn't make it but you really want this and you feel you'll get better from training with them. Find a rec ball team to play in. Be positive and helpful if she allows you and take it gracefully if she says no.

Oct 19, 2009
It does not take a lot of talent to hustle, so this is the first thing I would suggest is to hustle. Be the first one on the field and the last one off, be the first one for the drills or near the front as you can get. This sends the coach a message you want to be there.

Everyone has a special talent if your speedy you may have a start as a pinch runner or that great arm may impress the coach. Find out what you are special at and work to get better, and work on your weakness.

If you don’t make it ask to be a manager and most managers have the opportunity to practice with the team. You may want to consider playing in a league for experience if not selected for the team.

You may look for an instructor in your area learning proper mechanics for throwing, hitting and fielding can go a long way in reducing the learning curve.

Most of all don’t get discouraged, most kids start at 5-6 and have been going to instructors for years. Hard work, dedication and persistence can go a long way. :)

Good luck!!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2011
Sterling IL
Try going to the coach and saying you understand your not a player that will get game time but, ask if you could at least practice with the team. Tell the coach you expect that with the work you do with the team and on your own that you will make the team next year and what better way to figure out what the coach expects than to practice with the team this year. I would show up to every game you could this year and support the girls that did make the team and show how much the TEAM (not just you being on the team) means to you!

Mar 28, 2011
CMT, I like the fact that you tried, that shows courage and that is a great quality that will serve you well in the future, I wish I had more of that when I was your age. But don’t be bitter, get better. There is a very good reason you didn’t make the team, you’re not a victim, you were just not as skilled at playing softball as the others (yet). Don’t take the rejection personally. I know there can be politics that sometimes convolute these situations BUT mostly it’s just a matter of talent and attitude. I know that may seem harsh, but our disappointments in life can either defeat us or give us resolve, so I am hoping you will turn this negative into a positive, and use it as fuel to burn desire, commitment and perseverance. If you work hard, prepare and develop, the next tryout you attend you’ll have more confidence and PREPARATION IS THEY KEY TO CONFIDENCE. I have a little metaphor I use with my girls, I tell them Confidence and Fear are like two armies fighting a battle inside us, we need to help Confidence win the battle, thus “Confidence is the conqueror of Fear and Fear is the enemy of Confidence”. Then I ask them, how do we help Confidence win the battle over Fear? Answer; we use our weapons, CPP (Commitment, Practice, Preparation) and our tools EEE (Energy, Effort, Enthusiasm). With the proper use and application of these weapons and tools they will lead us to Successes leading us to Confidence and achieving our goal which is; overcoming and defeating Fear. We are then free to play and enjoy the game, win, loose, draw, 0 for 4 - or - 4 for 4, doesn’t matter because we believe in ourselves and we are confident….. We apply this philosophy as a team and as individuals.

Like IMlearning said; “there’s a lot more then softball being learned here”.

This is why I love sports so much; they can teach us how to approach life in a constructive way.

CMT

Jan 15, 2012
I could understand all of this if I'd ever made anything before. I tried out for basketball, volleyball, and softball and my answer is "there's always next year!" Eventually, there won't be a next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach