Newcomer To Sport--Terrified

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CMT

Jan 15, 2012
I've been casually practicing softball with my friends since September, and in recent weeks the intensity factor has picked up quite a bit. Our high school varsity team is *really* good, but a few with no experience made it on to JV. I'm not terrible. I'm hoping for shortstop or 1st base. Tryouts are this Friday and I'm SO scared. Of course I want to make it, but not to just sit around and suck and not be a component of the team. I want to be really good....I'm extremely embarrased I don't have the years of experience like everybody else.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
If you can, find a friend on the team, get there early, and throw the ball around a little. Or do this the day before (go to the batting cages, usually cheap!). Try and do this as close to tryouts as you can so you are comfortable.

Make sure your paperwork is complete. Offer to help out setting things up or putting things away. Some teams time running or have long runs or other athletic aspects that you may shine in. Sportsmanship is super important in HS, and to some coaches more important than experience: So do things during tryouts that show your school spirit or that you are a good teammate. Follow instructions.

Don't limit yourself to one position: see what the team needs (then work your way into the position you want).

There may be several girls with no experience, so you won't be alone. Be yourself.

I couldn't have said it better! Good luck sweetie and let us know how it goes!

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Absolutely agree with Screwball! It takes a lot of courage to step up and tryout, but it will be well worth the effort! Playing for your HS team (Varsity or JV) is something you will always look back on with pride, and you shouldn't let fear or embarrassment dictate whether you tryout or not. If you have an opportunity, work on your hitting (if you have an opportunity for 2 months worth of lessons, go for it!) and get out and throw. If you have not loosened up over the winter before tryouts, you will find it very difficult to perform when tryouts come around. Good Luck!

Oct 25, 2009
In addition to the good advice above, cheer on others as you go through tryouts. It will keep you in the spirit and could be noticed by the coaches. Above most else, coaches love a positive attitude!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
The final few cuts are the hardest. Top talent sticks out like a sore thumb, but eagerness and "coachable" kids are usually what a HS coach looks for in the last few he will keep. He doesn't want a drama queen or a slacker.

1. Yes sir / no sir every time
2. Hustle out on the field every time
3. Keep the non softball chatter to a minimum
4. If working in a group try to partner up with someone with decent skills ( a terrible partner can make you look terrible too )
5. Be aggressive
6. Do not look tired or bored waiting on your turn for drills
7. At the end tell the coach "thanks" ( you'd be surprised how few kids say that now days, and how much that means to a grown up )

Best of luck!!!!

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
If you can, find a friend on the team, get there early, and throw the ball around a little. Or do this the day before (go to the batting cages, usually cheap!). Try and do this as close to tryouts as you can so you are comfortable.

Make sure your paperwork is complete. Offer to help out setting things up or putting things away. Some teams time running or have long runs or other athletic aspects that you may shine in. Sportsmanship is super important in HS, and to some coaches more important than experience: So do things during tryouts that show your school spirit or that you are a good teammate. Follow instructions.

Don't limit yourself to one position: see what the team needs (then work your way into the position you want).

There may be several girls with no experience, so you won't be alone. Be yourself.

Screwball, I disagree with you a lot on here. But then there are times when you deserve kudos! I say, "hear, hear!" This, like the recent drill post is worthy of praise! Not that you need my praise :)

Last edited:

CMT

Jan 15, 2012
I've gotten some good advice. But I'm beyond terrified. If I was scared when I posted this, it's nothing like I am now. Tryouts are in four days and I want this so, indescribably bad. Last minute tips?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Take a deep breath and relax. You will not be the only one nervous. Don't drink anything with caffeine that day. ( it will only add to the jitters ) Water, gatorade, no milk though. Get that milk hot in your body may not be the best. Eat a small snack before, no sugary bad for you stuff. ( eat like a sandwich, the carbs will give you energy )

Don't look terrified. No one has a perfect tryout, if you mess up on a drill, pull yourself together and try it again. How many days of tryouts do you have? My DD's school does tryouts for 5 days.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Relax
Hustle, hustle some more and then hustle a bit more.
Back up every throw you can.
Hustle some more.
Make good solid throws all the time even if you are warming up or shagging.
Relax
Hustle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619