Newcomer To Sport--Terrified

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CMT

Jan 15, 2012
2 days. I really have no clue what I could possibly offer this team. We played a tournament this weekend and during our warmup drills, I messed up badly, while my coach was watching. I did so poorly my dad texted me to tell me how awful I was at catching/throwing. I was in for a tiny bit and I did pretty well for my first game, but I'm so scared I don't even want to try out, because I know I won't make it.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
CMT, there's an old saying that you will miss 100% of the shots you don't take. In your case, the only way to guarantee you won't make the team is to not try out.

Look at it this way: no matter how it might seem, if you don't make it it won't be the end of the world. The sun will still come up, the world will keep on spinning.

You can't control whether you get selected. But you can control how you do at tryouts. As everyone else has said, relax. Before you execute a skill, take a deep breath, in through your nose and out through your mouth, slowly. The big key is to focus on the process -- what you're doing -- instead of the outcome. If you focus on the outcome and you mess up you may freak out. But if you focus on the process the outcomes won't mess you up so much. And take it from a longtime coach -- most of us tend to look more at how a player executes her skills than at the individual outcomes. As someone else said coachability is a key factor.

The final piece of advice is to take it one pitch/play at a time. The only thing you can affect is the play coming up. If you make a mistake, move on. It shows character, and that counts for a lot. Try not to live and die on every play, and for sure don't dwell on the bad stuff. Instead enjoy the good stuff.

Go out there and do your best. And let us know what happens. You have an entire softball community of 5,000 members rooting for you!

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
2 days. I really have no clue what I could possibly offer this team. We played a tournament this weekend and during our warmup drills, I messed up badly, while my coach was watching. I did so poorly my dad texted me to tell me how awful I was at catching/throwing. I was in for a tiny bit and I did pretty well for my first game, but I'm so scared I don't even want to try out, because I know I won't make it.

Relax, don't be your own worst enemy! Everyone makes mistakes, how you handle them will say more about you than anything. Shake it off, remain focused, and hope for another opportunity to show the coach you can do better. If you want to make the team, you have to believe/know you belong there. Self confidence goes a long way. Remember, it's just a game, it's not life or death, so have fun no matter what happens. If you don't make the team this year, you will know what you need to do for next year. If you want it bad enough to do what it takes to make it happen, no one can stop you. Good luck!!

CMT

Jan 15, 2012
So no one thinks I've messed up by shanking all those throws at warmups? She's seen some less than stellar athletic performances from me, but she knows how badly I want it and that I genuinely want to play softball.

CMT

Jan 15, 2012
Not sure about Friday, all I know is it's in the morning on Saturday. My biggest fear is I've already been written off because of my terrible throwing experience. She knows I'm new, so she probably has even more of a bias.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
How many girls usually tryout? How many made the team last year? Total for JV and Varsity.

Get a buddy to get there early, do some overhand tosses just to get the jitters out and get zoned in. YOU catch with a FENCE behind you, so if you miss a couple youre not seen chasing them a mile. Same thing if you can during the tryouts. ( there are so many little tricks to make sure you don't call bad attention to yourself ) :)

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
CMT, there's an old saying that you will miss 100% of the shots you don't take. In your case, the only way to guarantee you won't make the team is to not try out.

Exactly.

Another good saying is "Losers are not those who try and fail, rather they are those who fail to even try." Or something like that.

And to the OP - good luck.

CMT

Jan 15, 2012
So it's not too late to wow my coach/make team? We have huge gaps in varsity, and last year everyone made some team. That coach left, and his daughter, who was the assistant coach at the time is now the head.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1