Newcomer To Sport--Terrified

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Nobody makes every catch and every throw every time. Just make sure that you make most of the throws, and most of the catches, and have a smile on your face on every play. You would be surprised how much a great attitude helps!

One other thing caught my attention from one of your previous posts. Do NOT take text messages from your dad during tryouts, practice, or games! No texting from anyone at anytime once you're on the field. Do not have your phone anywhere in sight, and turn it off before you get to the field. You want to show the coach that you are focused on the tryout, and nothing else. You also do not want your parents criticism or praise distract you. Nothing turns off a coach quicker than a player paying attention to their parents in the stands when they should be paying attention to playing. You need to develop tunnel vision inside the fences!

Good Luck!

Jan 8, 2012
CT
I understand your situation, since I have a daughter that is in a similar, but at a lower level (middle school) of competition. She recently (about a year ago) developed a very strong interest in softball. Her skills are pretty good, but confidence and game experience are low. She will be trying for her middle school team this spring. She has the same worries as you when she knows others have been playing for 6-7 years.

From my perspective, and from lots of good advice from experts on this forum, the best thing you can do is present yourself as a "player". One that is willing contribute anywhere the coach needs someone. Don't be locked into SS, as an example, since many times those are the most skilled players that go after those positions. Show enthusiasm, hustle at all times, smile a lot, be willing to sit the bench for sake of going to practice everyday, learning how the game is played, etc. That will help set you up for next year and beyond. A positive attitude is not everything, but it will take you a long way.

I wish you the best

CMT

Jan 15, 2012
I would REALLY rather not have to be in the outfield. iIf I'm not at shortstop, it's not the end of the world though. My main worry is the coach already wrote me off and won't pay any attention to me because I already displayed a lot of errors. Am I just being paranoid, or valid concern?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I feel your pain about being paranoid. But take this one step at a time. I know you have stated you haven't had a lot of softball experience. SS is probably the most important position defensively. They should have the best range, glove, throwing mechanics, speed, and general play skills from years of the game. They have the ability to call off any other position on the field. They usually make more double plays, they take most cut offs. It's a hard position.

If you get SS that's great. But for now just concentrate on the tryouts. Make the team and then evaluate what position is best for you AND the team. What ever position the coach puts you at, be the best there that you can. You can always continue to practice another position and maybe one day fill that slot.

Apr 1, 2010
I would REALLY rather not have to be in the outfield. iIf I'm not at shortstop, it's not the end of the world though. My main worry is the coach already wrote me off and won't pay any attention to me because I already displayed a lot of errors. Am I just being paranoid, or valid concern?

I agree with GOINGDEEP. Shortstop is a pressure position; their skills and knowledge are continually being tested. Do you really want the coach to put you there and would you be happy being in that kind of pressure-cooker? The outfield is far less demanding to learn, though there is still a LOT to know and do out there. You need to be able to make good throws that the cutoff can field, albeit not with the pinpoint accuracy of the infield. It sounds as though you feel your main issue is your throwing. Have you considered first base? Catching the ball is much more important for a first baseman than throwing.

CMT

Jan 15, 2012
I don't feel like I have a problem throwing actually. Just that one time she was watching. And first would be my second choice. However, I hate the outfield with a fiery purple passion. The only thing worse than being on the outfield would be to not play at all. I'm great at fielding, fly balls I'm terrible at, anything in between is fair.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I wouldn't worry too much about one mistake. Your coach will notice more than you think. She'll be taking a longer view of you and everyone else.

I also wouldn't get too hung up on one position. Do you what you need to do to make the team. If it's the outfield, so be it. First get on the train. Then worry about what seat you're going to take.

A few years ago I remember watching the USA Junior National team (or whatever it was) playing the Chicago Bandits. It was a team of college players. The announcers pointed out that several players, including all three outfield positions, were shortstops at their respective college teams. But only one could play shortstop. The others had to play elsewhere.

If it's good enough for those accomplished players...

CMT

Jan 15, 2012
Ok so I was pretty much a tense, horrible person all of today and most of yesterday. The drills are very fastpaced and confusing all the new girls. Coach really liked my effort and willing to work. I stayed about 45 minutes late on Friday whith a few friends. Today she told me to "Come back on Monday & Tuesday, then we'll see." So after sobbing uncontrollably in the locker room with my friend for 5 minutes, I stayed late for 30 minutes even though coach told me I didn't have to. I think she's cutting me. :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG