New field?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2016
One of favorite fields DD played in all the stands were concrete and the outfield wall was who knows how far back and 12' or so high.

It was a retaining pond so the houses did not flood.

They could of put up a temperoray fence I suppose but I didn't care and no else seemed to either.

It was actually pretty neat, someone put some thought into it.

Baseball field used as a retention basin you say? This just opened nearby, bummed they put in two baseball fields and no softball field.

20200107_115002.jpg

02_26_20_COMM_McKelveyBallpark_1243.jpg

May 23, 2015
North Florida
The biggest issue you will have in North Florida is wind load on netting. Just make sure that the high school does not skimp and buy something cheap. By the heaviest gauge UV resistant netting they can afford. Higher is always better keeping win load into consideration. Brick back stop is great if its in the budget. Chain link work as well

It should be graded flat. The crowns happen when people don't know how to drag them.

I always clay brick the pitching plate all the way to the to the edge of the circle and both batters boxes and catchers box

Turface is a winner I would consult a turface rep in your area to ask for recommendations based on your natural soil. Hopefully you can get away without trucking in an infield mix

Il assume you'll use centipede there, but Bermuda is tough. Ill gladly help if needed along the way. I love fixing and building fields

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Lots of good information so far, here's my two-cents. If you possibly have the extra space, and the means, build an second infield!! Of all the great features we have at our HS field, the additional infield is my favorite, and the one feature I'd hate to live without!

The second infield is great for infield warm ups for when MS and HS are at the complex together, one can use the main field while the other uses the second field. Also, for home games so each team has a place to stretch out and work on infield drills before the game.

I never would have thought a second infield would so useful until we built one, at first I actually thought it was a waste of money, good thing I'm not in charge of planning!

Sorry, I don't really have any good pics of the second field but you can get an idea from the top two pics, super useful!
thumbnail (55).jpgthumbnail (57).jpgthumbnail (75).jpgthumbnail (65).jpg

Jan 28, 2017
New school being built on top of the old field and promised a State Of The Art Field. The field was supposed to be done three years ago and the girls have been playing at the Rec. Park.. My DD is entering 9th grade this year. The skeleton is done but some issues with the field, IMO. Drainage is an issue but I think it will be taken care of. The Bermuda needs to be sanded and think it will. I think they will fix all the lips. Sprinkler heads need to be moved and think they will. Need more electrical outlets available. Need a water supply outside the dugouts.

Issues
Pitchers circle is higher than the rest of the field, block backstop is to low, field is only 197 feet , dugouts are to close to the together, parking, and the locker room/concessions/restrooms were not built.

Lights, scoreboard, netting, fencing, and dugouts look nice but some issues. Already paid $327,000 but the bones aren't great.

May 23, 2015
New school being built on top of the old field and promised a State Of The Art Field. The field was supposed to be done three years ago and the girls have been playing at the Rec. Park.. My DD is entering 9th grade this year. The skeleton is done but some issues with the field, IMO. Drainage is an issue but I think it will be taken care of. The Bermuda needs to be sanded and think it will. I think they will fix all the lips. Sprinkler heads need to be moved and think they will. Need more electrical outlets available. Need a water supply outside the dugouts.

Issues
Pitchers circle is higher than the rest of the field, block backstop is to low, field is only 197 feet , dugouts are to close to the together, parking, and the locker room/concessions/restrooms were not built.

Lights, scoreboard, netting, fencing, and dugouts look nice but some issues. Already paid $327,000 but the bones aren't great.
Law suit.........

Feb 8, 2019

Issues

sorry- this sux!
197' isn't bad - isn't NFHS Minimum recommended distance 185' and NCAA min 195'?

we got our field done first so our team would have a good place to play- Covid-19 was of no help, but it was playable for our July 11 weekend tournament-still needs work but has been used regularly ever since. Field lighting will be another phase. Equipment storage/concessions/ toilets/ Announcer booth would be another phase. Seating will be another phase (this kicks in the need for toilet facilities)

Jan 28, 2017
Creating Proper Drainage: The easiest way to create drainage for any water buildup on your infield is to make your infield with a surface grade, or “crown.” A “crown” is a high spot on your infield, located behind the pitcher’s rubber, from which point all the water can flow and drain off the field. An infield should be graded to have a minimum of 0.5% slope with the maximum allowable of 1%. Anything less than .5% won’t allow the water to drain and anything greater than 1% will effect how balls roll on the infield. Be sure to properly maintain the grade, or “crown,” by always starting at the pitcher’s mound and moving in large outward circles when you drag the infield.

Pitcher plate is meant to be flush with the playing surface.

Backstop height can be anything if you use the right netting, Standard backstop padding comes in 2', 3' ad 4' heights so whatever you are comfortable with. We went with 3' paddinng (we have fencing not netting so it doesn't matter much); 4' always feels a little high to me.

If you want the ISF guide to building a field; it is a good resource:

And you will want to check the USSSA guide for dimensions (or any other USA softball orgs rulebook)

Have a 24 inch block backstop but since they bought clay in it is only 18 inches high on the inside part of the blocks. Is that to low?

Pitchers mound is the highest point on the field.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi