New field?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
HS is building a new field.
1. What is the grade on the infield? Pitchers mound normally looks flat to me but it is currently higher than home plate.

2. What is the correct backstop block wall height with a net? Need people to be able to sit in lawn chairs and see the game but not get knocked out with a foul ball pushing the net back. Currently it is only about 2 ft high and even shorter on the inside of the field.

Thanks for giving information

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
HS is building a new field.
1. What is the grade on the infield? Pitchers mound normally looks flat to me but it is currently higher than home plate.

2. What is the correct backstop block wall height with a net? Need people to be able to sit in lawn chairs and see the game but not get knocked out with a foul ball pushing the net back. Currently it is only about 2 ft high and even shorter on the inside of the field.

Thanks for giving information

Creating Proper Drainage: The easiest way to create drainage for any water buildup on your infield is to make your infield with a surface grade, or “crown.” A “crown” is a high spot on your infield, located behind the pitcher’s rubber, from which point all the water can flow and drain off the field. An infield should be graded to have a minimum of 0.5% slope with the maximum allowable of 1%. Anything less than .5% won’t allow the water to drain and anything greater than 1% will effect how balls roll on the infield. Be sure to properly maintain the grade, or “crown,” by always starting at the pitcher’s mound and moving in large outward circles when you drag the infield.

Pitcher plate is meant to be flush with the playing surface.

Backstop height can be anything if you use the right netting, Standard backstop padding comes in 2', 3' ad 4' heights so whatever you are comfortable with. We went with 3' paddinng (we have fencing not netting so it doesn't matter much); 4' always feels a little high to me.

If you want the ISF guide to building a field; it is a good resource:

And you will want to check the USSSA guide for dimensions (or any other USA softball orgs rulebook)

Aug 1, 2019
MN
No. 2 could depend on how much space you have and how much dirt work they want to do. Nice feature I've seen is having an earthen berm along the sides, you could probably do it behind the backstop, too. It can elevate the spectators a few feet for a better view.

May 23, 2015
What area of the country you're building this field means a lot. I've rehabbed several. Ill help however I can

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Once I saw a young player taken down by a ball that hit the infield lip it has always worried me. Older players play back further so does not come in play as much.

Add that to your list please. I know nothing about it but there has been previous post on here that it has to do with mantinece but I would it needs to be right to begin with.

Maybe more ignorance but I think infield, including pitching circle, should be flat. Drange for field might change that but should not be a noticeable with the eye test.

Jun 16, 2010
We played on a field once in a tourney.....municipal field complex...where....im not exxagerating...the outfield level in L field was at least 2 ft lower than home plate. Maybe 3 ft. It was interesting. They apparently did minimum grading to build complex in hilly area.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
We played on a field once in a tourney.....municipal field complex...where....im not exxagerating...the outfield level in L field was at least 2 ft lower than home plate. Maybe 3 ft. It was interesting. They apparently did minimum grading to build complex in hilly area.
There used to be a baseball field in Texas someplace that deep center field was about 6' lower than deep,deep center field. :D

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
One of favorite fields DD played in all the stands were concrete and the outfield wall was who knows how far back and 12' or so high.

It was a retaining pond so the houses did not flood.

They could of put up a temperoray fence I suppose but I didn't care and no else seemed to either.

It was actually pretty neat, someone put some thought into it.

Jun 16, 2010
One of favorite fields DD played in all the stands were concrete and the outfield wall was who knows how far back and 12' or so high.

It was a retaining pond so the houses did not flood.

They could of put up a temperoray fence I suppose but I didn't care and no else seemed to either.

It was actually pretty neat, someone put some thought into it.

200 is too short for composite bats anyway....imo. when 14U plays on same field and hits HR.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28