Is this a viable method for catching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
... Still trying to figure out which knee to put down when I'm waiting for the pitch to come.
I'm still trying to get used to driving with my hips when I have both knees on the ground. But it's getting better. I'm getting the throw to third with few issues. But I'm still throwing a little short to second.
I'm still working out the kinks for getting up quick enough to field a bunted ball or a ball hit foul that I can get to.
May i ask...
How much is the coach who suggested this helping with those things you mentioned?
Did they offer mechanics suggestions on receiving pitches and those other things?

Are you starting with a knee down or putting a knee down as you see the pitch?
Always or sometimes?

Last edited:

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
May i ask...
How much is the coach who suggested this helping with those things you mentioned?
Did they offer mechanics suggestions on receiving pitches and those other things?

Are you starting with a knee down or putting a knee down as you see the pitch?
Always or sometimes?
My coach has been giving her two cents along the way. They are trying to help with mechanics a far as throwing and blocking. I've noticed my blocking has improved using one knee down versus traditional.

I am starting traditional and I'm going to knee down. This is what I've noticed other catchers doing as high up as the Olympics. I'm doing it all the time right now. I may modify it once I start seeing game time using the method and I can adapt to game situations.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I've also been watching lots of videos on my favorite catcher in fastpitch, Paige Halstead using kd.
imo
It's not about the mechanics used, it's about the success can get from applying them.
Compaired to the success using other mechanics.
*Measurable success.

Do you have pop time #'s before and after?

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
imo
It's not about the mechanics used, it's about the success can get from applying them.
Compaired to the success using other mechanics.
*Measurable success.

Do you have pop time #'s before and after?
Before starting kd I'd be somewhere between 1.8 and 2.2 seconds. Right now, I'm probably around 2.8 to 3 seconds. Keep in mind, I'm still working on getting a quicker, more accurate throw to second down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812