An NFHS Field layout Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 8, 2019
We are (re)building a softball field at the HS, and I have a question re: recommendation vs absolute. The guy from our DPW who is leading this project, had noted in an earlier discussion that the dimensions given by NFHS concerning field layouts are recommended dimensions, not absolutes.
my questions today are regarding the 25’-30’ beyond the foul line to the out-of-play barrier.

- is 24’-10” officially considered close enough? i know building codes allow tolerances, would this be a deal breaker ?
- same issue from tip of Home Plate to Backstop? (this could be an easy adjustment.)
- i assume that the 25’- 30’ zone outside the foul lines holds true into the outfield, all the way to the fence. the geometry of our site doesnt allow that to happen, so it begins to taper outside the infield. Do you see that as being something that would not allow state HS tournament Games to be played there?

in the attached photo, the field is shown where it was when work was stopped late last year, so dont bother pointing out the lack of symmetry in the infield, etc. i just in luded the photo to give you the overall idea of the field.

thanks!

Attachments

• 50B675DE-195D-43AB-8FB5-E78525A32430.jpeg
    50B675DE-195D-43AB-8FB5-E78525A32430.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
May 29, 2015
All of the above! 🙂

As far as dimensions, those are recommended, not required. NFHS realizes the game gets played on a WIDE variety of fields, some just built and some older than us.

Yes, 24'10" is close enough to 25. The things you really don't want are a backstop that is 10 feet behind you or 40 feet behind you. You want a field that provides a fair and exciting game.

As you taper to the outfield, those buffer dimensions get less important. Look at some of the Major League Baseball parks ... some of the things that go in in the newer stadiums still baffle me. Give your park some character, but don't get so wacky that it impacts the game.

As far as hosting post-season tournaments, you will need to check with your state association to see what their requirements are. Are you talking just post-season (e.g., Sectionals and Regionals) or actual State Finals?

In Illinois, State Finals requirements go far beyond the playing field and include the amount of seating you have, parking space, ability to sell merchandise, amenities, etc. I am trying to find the Illinois specs to share.

EDIT: Here you go! For a bid year (deadline in two weeks!) this was harder to find than I expected. https://www.ihsa.org/documents/announcements/SBGSpecs2020.pdf

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
Good point about the backstop...you can do somethings to help if the backstop is 10 feet and wood as a barrier you can literally have the ball bounce right back at the catcher and throw a girl out on a pass ball. On the other hand if it is 40 feet and you have a think pad back there that eats the pass balls your same runner might be standing on third...neither of those are "fair" outcomes and can impact the game.

Feb 8, 2019
Thank you for the responses! FWIW- bottom 8’ of backstop is chainlink Fencing. this was done like a day or two later. Remaining Fencing install is now underway And hopefully dugouts will be soon to follow!
273255F1-EDD1-4C72-9E18-4283EC22D13D.jpeg

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Looking good! Love the fact that there are some windows to aim for beyond the outfield wall! :)

One additional thought though ... cover up that chain link with something! It is going to chew up your softballs.

I don’t pay for them and it drives me nuts when the first pitch hits the chain link and the ball can’t be used due to the cut on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi