New 9u pitcher. Timeline progression?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2012
South Texas
Anything out there as a standard timeline to see improvement in young pitchers? My daughter is her second month of pitching lessons and wanted to see by when should I see more consistency in strikes and speed development. Right now she is pitching 35mph and throwing 50 strikes and 70 balls in one sitting. Thanks.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
6 months is a number I find fairly common. You work hard and in six months you wake up and it seems as if it happened over night that her FB has no arc, is fast and is much more consistent then it was. Good Luck!

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
DD has been pitching since February when we attended our first clinic. Started about where your DD is. She is now throwing in the low to mid 40's probably 50/50 strikes to balls and improving. I finally found a good coach so hope to see much more improvement. Only 2 lessons in.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If they are not pitching in games you will be surprised how fast they Progress.

Are they going to better today than yesterday? No

If they are working on it they will be better next month then this month. Make sure you recognize it when you see it. Since you are going through it with her it can be easy to miss the improvement.

May 31, 2012
My DD is 10. First pitching practices were June last year. First 3 mths were the hardest very inconsistent. Around 6 mths she started looking like a pitcher. We practiced minimum twice a week usually 3 times a week. Last fall she was throwing high 37-40,April she was clocked at 44. Last weekend she pitched an 8 inning game with only 2 walks. She was throwing 46-47. Hit 48 cpl times. We started working with flip change 8mths ago. Its a challenge. When its on its nasty when its off its way off. She naturally throws with IR and we generally stressed speed before accuracy early on.

May 31, 2012

Are they going to better today than yesterday? No

If they are working on it they will be better next month then this month. Make sure you recognize it when you see it. Since you are going through it with her it can be easy to miss the improvement.

Agreed. I think I let my DD pitch in games too soon. She developed bad habits trying to throw strikes. Make sure the mechanics are correct before she pitches in games.

May 31, 2012
South Texas

So you are saying they that in the early months it is better for her not pitch? cause she has not.

I asked her PC and he advised that we should waith until a couple more months. Ive seen far worse pitchers than what my DD is like now and wondered if game time experience would be more advantageous.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
My daughter pitched in rec all summer. We are an upstart league and even as bad as she was , she was probably the 3rd or 4th best pitcher in the league. Our leage doesn't allow walks in rec so I didn't care if she threw all strikes. She had only been pitching about 2 mos. before the start of the season. She isn't gifted physically nor does she necessarily have a lot of natural talent but what she does have is the ability to incorportate what she is taught very quickly, a really strong mental attitude and drive. I have been very proud of her continued progression. Since the season ended we have spent far more time pitching since we don't have games etc than we had prior and I am very happy with her coach. She and I have learned a lot.
At some point I'll figure out how to post video so I can get some feedback.

Oct 8, 2012
My daughter was a late bloomer when it came to pitching. she caught on right away but where she lived, they had coach pitch for 10's and 12's. I will say this being the 'primary catcher' for her I attended every pitching lesson she ever went to, your daughter has to be 100% committed, it is suggested to practice 3-4 days a week and that is not including days throwing with her PC. If she is mentally not committed 100% she may notice her not getting better as fast as other girls her age.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321