Never throw to 3rd?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2009
at my indoor practice a girl on the high school team said the coaches never let the second baseman throw to 3rd. is this a general thing? or is it just the high school coaches preference? And why couldn't they throw to third?

Jul 26, 2010
Sometimes coaches put the girl who has good fielding skills but not such a great arm at 2b. Is this a team rule, or a rule for your particular second baseman?

-W

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I allow my HS team to throw for the out to any base if they
truly believe they have a shot. My philosophy,
"if you have a shot-take it". Any base including 3B.

SCENARIO: Runner on 1b, hard hit ball to RF, cutoff to 2b, why can't 2b
turn and try to gun down THE runner advancing to 3B? I try to keep runners
off 3B at all costs.

In HS, your entire team should have a strong enough arm to make the throw.
Last season, I had a LF who threw out 3 girls at home in the same game from short
LF. We won the game 2-1-TAKE THE SHOT

Jul 26, 2010
High school ball varies quite a bit in skill level depending directly on how many kids attend the high school (talent pool)

Here in NorCal, for instance, we typically have about 500 girls play in the local rec league. In that same area, there are 5 high schools. Here, high school ball is rec ball for older kids, it's the same players, same skill level. In other areas, there are much more softball players to choose from at the school to put a team together. Here, it you can spell softball, you can play HS ball.

-W

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I'd ask the girl more questions about it... if there's a chance to get an out there, we take it. I like to think about how well we hit when their is a girl on third. I don't like to give that chance to another team.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I can see in a force out situation a coach saying that. If there is a force at 3, then there is a force at 2, if you have time to throw it to 3, then you have time to go to second and with the SS crossing the bag she can possibly get the out a 1st as well. If you only have time for 1 out, you take the easiest to be sure and that is probably going to be at 2nd or 1st depending on which direction the fielder is turned.

But in other situations, I would want her to throw it to 3rd.

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
I allow my HS team to throw for the out to any base if they
truly believe they have a shot. My philosophy,
"if you have a shot-take it". Any base including 3B.

SCENARIO: Runner on 1b, hard hit ball to RF, cutoff to 2b, why can't 2b
turn and try to gun down THE runner advancing to 3B? I try to keep runners
off 3B at all costs.

In HS, your entire team should have a strong enough arm to make the throw.
Last season, I had a LF who threw out 3 girls at home in the same game from short
LF. We won the game 2-1-TAKE THE SHOT

Only problem is if u don't get the girl at third then mostly likely you will have two runners in scoring position now.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I agree with chinamigarden. A ball hit to 2nd is usually a tough play at third, even in a force situation. I'd like to see them try a double play if possible. Runner on 2nd only, check the runner and if your instincts tell you you can get the runner at 3rd, go for it.

Any cutoff should have the third baseman deciding whether to throw or not. I don't believe in having absolute rules against anyone on the field throwing anywhere to get an out. Now having said that, bad decisions are another matter. They must learn to make good decisions, but they can only learn to do so with expireance.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Only problem is if u don't get the girl at third then mostly likely you will have two runners in scoring position now.

How can you not go for the out? If you do get the out,
lead runner is erased. I have my girls playing the game aggressively.

The scenario is the difference in a competitive game. I would hate to
lose by a run because RF throws to 2B and there is no play anywhere
thus leaving runners at 1st and 3rd. On the next pitch you will have a
runner at 2 and 3 on steal. If you play this passively, you will lose
tight games. How can you not play for an out here?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32