Never throw to 3rd?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2010
at my indoor practice a girl on the high school team said the coaches never let the second baseman throw to 3rd. is this a general thing? or is it just the high school coaches preference? And why couldn't they throw to third?

We use the term "Where the ball takes you", so in the situation you describe, if the 2nd baseman is in the proceess of fielding the ball and it "take them" towards 3rd then the play would or could be to 3rd. If the ball "take you" towards 1st thern the play would be to 1st. This works for everyone on the field.
To me its all about the odds of getting outs. To say 2nd never throws to 3rd, seems closed minded. Never say never.

Jan 18, 2011
I agree with most of the posts here, if the play warrents a throw to 3rd, then you take it. What was given was not enough information and there are to many variables to guess what that thinking was. More information would need to be gathered as to why this was said. I see no problem making the throw to 3rd if the situation warrents it.

Dec 15, 2009
exactly, i would have thought that if you have a shot at 3rd then take it. but the 2nd baseman brought that up and a guy who helps out on the team said that the 2nd basaeman will NEVER throw to 3rd unless instructed to which is very rare.

This "guy" that helps out, he obviously doesn't know much about how faster (both base running and throwing) the game is with older girls. "Unless instructed to"???!!! By the time the 2b mentally processes the "instruction"....the runners safe. Whats worse is thats when bad throws are made, and or 3b not in position to make the tag....why? Because they never practice it!! Well coached kids know when a play can or won't be made and confidently REACT. I feel bad for athletes on teams in that type of coaching environment. Agressive defense is a key attribute on every successful team. Not only will it slow down an agressive offense to make them think twice, but more important is your defense is perky and EXPECTS to make the play!! Thats where the fun is!!
2b, as shes gets the ball back to the circle is no doubt thinking "we could have nailed her.....but whatever, the coach didn't say 3" ....wheres the fun in that:( Id rather my team lose in trying instead of handing over a victory. Mistakes can be fixed....but taking the ball out of a players hand is SAD!

Jan 12, 2010
I agree with chinamigarden. A ball hit to 2nd is usually a tough play at third, even in a force situation. I'd like to see them try a double play if possible. Runner on 2nd only, check the runner and if your instincts tell you you can get the runner at 3rd, go for it.

Any cutoff should have the third baseman deciding whether to throw or not. I don't believe in having absolute rules against anyone on the field throwing anywhere to get an out. Now having said that, bad decisions are another matter. They must learn to make good decisions, but they can only learn to do so with expireance.

With runners on 2nd and 3rd, less than two outs, my 3rd baseman will be playing up for the bunt pretty hard. I'd rather have my 2nd baseman try for the tag double play or go to second for a surer out. Alot has to do with inning and score.

Jul 28, 2008
Throwing to 3rd is a low percentage play. I'd rather they go for the higher percentage play at 2nd or 1st. It would be similar to a left handed SS trying to make a play at 1st on a fast running slapper, because R2 should be getting a good jump on the pitch.

Feb 3, 2011
I coach 10u rec where there's a lot of stealing on WPs and PBs. Anyone can advance on balls reaching the backstop, but I want even my moderate-speed girls stealing on good pitches. We want to challenge opposing defenses to make plays. On defense, we practice throwing to 3rd and making sure that throw is backed up, no matter which direction the throw is coming from.

Even if we don't get any outs at 3rd, if we make it close, it's something opposing offenses will have to think about.

Those players moving on to higher levels in the future will have better instincts than players who've been kept from even attempting certain plays as they were coming up.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
14U - We had a play this weekend, runner on 1st, ball was bunted towards the pitcher, who bobbled the play and deflected the ball toward right side of 2nd (it ended up in no man's land behind the circle, SS was moving to cover 2nd. 1st baseman charging. 2nd baseman started toward 1st to cover, saw the deflection and changed direction to field the ball. When it was obvious she wasn't fielding the bunt, 3rd baseman retreated to her bag. Runner that started on 1st is now heading for 3rd, 2nd baseman scooped up ball and threw to 3rd, 3rd baseman tagged the runner for the out. Strange example of going where the ball takes you. Play started as a cluster, but result was better than if sac bunt was successful, as batter ended up at 1st and lead runner was out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1