Never throw to 3rd?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
What age group are you guys talking?
mkral, I know yours and that is a cool play. Kids love that stuff when it works! I bet they are pretty focused in practice, too, if they can learn something new like that. Gotta watch out for those Nitro coaches! LOL.

16U. We get base runners often, unless its a team that we have played before or someone scouted us.

May 11, 2009
BB875 you don't have to worry about us Nitro coaches!! You have seen us in action and our 14U team needs to be as technical as we can. The practices are fun for them. You get that deer in the headlight look at first from all of the back up players because they have never had to do much on bunts but now they feel they are a part of the play all of the time.
PAcoach - you are right we did it against one team at our first tourney and we played them again in the 3rd tourney this year and their coach would not let his kids round any base, he made them stop on every base and watch for the ball. It is fun when that happens to because now you are in their head and you can take the sure out at one without worrying about the runner rounding 3 and heading home.

Nov 1, 2009
I would say the coach is referring to a force at third. In that event I would prefer my infield to get the sure out at second and attempt the double play. If you have a second basemen cutting a throw from right then the ball was hit really deep and the runner will get third easily or the runner going to third is the batter.

The purpose of a cut on a throw from right field in fastpitch softball (in my opinion) is to get the out at second. Shortstop or pitcher cuts the ball and throws to second for the out on the runner trying to advance from first. Obviously if the throw has a play on the lead runner you let it go through for the out. At any rate this is a play that requires a lot of practice and work on positioning so you have players in place to make a play.

I truly believe you take the first three outs the other team gives you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32