Never gonna live that down:

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
If the kid had gone with the first little tap I could see it not being called but then when he goes back again and instead of patting him pushes him my guess would be that would get called more times than not, when I was an ump it is just one of those things that catches you eye pretty easily.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
You guys are right. No way he scores without that push. That push really sling shoted him home and helped him score. It wasnt that the kid realized the opposing team was sleeping and then took off. It was that push that made him score. The poor kid probably couldnt keep his legs from moving all the way to home after that push.

Good job umpire! Help the poor dumb team who wasnt paying attention and punish the team who was playing ball. Good judgment.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
If the kid had gone with the first little tap I could see it not being called but then when he goes back again and instead of patting him pushes him my guess would be that would get called more times than not, when I was an ump it is just one of those things that catches you eye pretty easily.

The kid didnt move on first contact. That kid wasnt leaving the bag until he wanted to. You can see he was running without PHYSICAL assistance, when he finally took off the runner totally understood what he was doing.

Jun 22, 2008
Please define the term 'judgement call'.

And in your judgment it was not an assist, but, you were not the umpire. Your statement about being an important part of the game appears to insinuate the rules of the game should change depending on the conditions of the game, score and inning. Those should NEVER be of any consideration in making a call.

Also, as it would relate to softball and not baseball I have already stated the ASA case play is even more restrictive in what it considers an assist, with merely a tap on the leg by the base coach signaling the runner to leave should be called an out.

Jul 21, 2015
Ian is the guy arguing to the cop who pulled him over for running a red light that it was ok for him to do so because he was pretty sure there were no cars coming.

Jul 25, 2015
You guys are right. No way he scores without that push. That push really sling shoted him home and helped him score. It wasnt that the kid realized the opposing team was sleeping and then took off. It was that push that made him score. The poor kid probably couldnt keep his legs from moving all the way to home after that push.

Good job umpire! Help the poor dumb team who wasnt paying attention and punish the team who was playing ball. Good judgment.

Actually, if you watch the video, the BR was not paying attention until he was tapped or pushed by the base coach. So, even though you were trying to be smart, your comment is actually fairly accurate. Also, "assistance" can be in the form of communication as well when it involves a coach touching a player while the ball is live.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
L

umpires are there to call the rules period. Not to arbitrate or to wait to see what the outcome is or to consider the affect of the infraction. It's clearly against the rule and it was called properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors