Need some help with timing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2009
Hello
My daughter has begun her travel season and her timing is way off. She has way too many strike outs for a girl that rarely strikes out. She really is down and need help in getting her back on track.

I hate pitching machines but if there is no live pitching avaible is good to use the machines ?

Any suggestions for timing adjustments or drills etc.. It would be grealty appreciated.

Thanks

You may want to try the Ultimate Hitting Machine. This soft toss machine pretty much works the same as a person tossing a ball in the air then hitting it as it comes back down. Only difference is, you step down on a launch pad with your foot to toss the ball up. Easy to use...no batteries or electricity needed to operate. Great product for a young kid to use to get a lot swing reps in every day
-

Apr 8, 2010
hello all
I was able to get some video of my DD. Please excuse the hitting coach in the video. I will try to post a different view.. Thanks

May 7, 2008
Tucson
At times, she is dropping her hands. And at times she is late and letting the ball come too far into the zone. No 2 swings are alike.

I would try to get her to recognize the pitches - inside, outside, down the middle and I would do that with tee work. See if this hitting coach can show you how to set the tee up for these pitches.

Over all she looks pretty good. I imagine that she is getting inundated with advice and she is going to have to hit, hit, hit, until the light bulb goes on.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
In my opinion this kid is doing a lot correct already.

1265n41.gif

She isn't the finished product, but she's certainly a lot better than her instructor.

2d9d3r6.gif

If it were me ... I'd find another instructor.

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
Upper Body

Although she looks good, i see her upper body leaning foreward. If i were you i would send this video to hitter (Howard Carrier) and see what he thinks.
Ed

Oct 18, 2009
Gilroy, Ca
I also thought that she was out front. Her hitting coach shows the same swing as our travel ball coach who was in the Marlins organization. We disagree alot! Our travel and High School team use the machine but not a regular basis. We have kept older balls that have some wear and we insert them in with the the new ones. What this does is vary location and speed so the girls do not get the same consistent pitch!

Joey (California)

Apr 8, 2010
Amy :
Thanks for your advice and input. I really appreciate the help. The coach is not a team coach but a hired coach who played pro ball and i was told to see him... So she played in a tourney today and got two hits in 6 at bats so i hope she is getting more confidence each time now.

FiveframeSwing:

Thanks for the slow mo its really helpful.....

May 31, 2009
Looks like she's swinging a little early in this video and is probably why she's just throwing her arms at the ball and is out on her front leg. When she loads up to swing though, it looks like she is just bringing her arms back and no weight is shifted to her rear leg. Looks like not much power in her lower body when she swings. Also her front foot is closed at contact and follow through. Have her open it up to about 45 degrees as she steps or pivots. Seems like to me if you keep that front foot closed when you swing, it restricts your hip from coming around properly, and doesn't feel normal. Take some swings with foot closed and with foot opening up and see if you can feel the difference. This is JMO, anyone else feel the same?

Oct 18, 2009
Gilroy, Ca
ok I am going to wager in again. After looking at the video again I would like to to see her get on the inside toe on the front foot (toe touch). This would allow her to start a closed then release to 45 degree's. Take a look at Hitter's Matrix. I use it with all our girls on our travel and high school team. Good Luck and keep all of us posted!

Joey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad