Need some help with timing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2010
Hello
My daughter has begun her travel season and her timing is way off. She has way too many strike outs for a girl that rarely strikes out. She really is down and need help in getting her back on track.

I hate pitching machines but if there is no live pitching avaible is good to use the machines ?

Any suggestions for timing adjustments or drills etc.. It would be grealty appreciated.

Thanks

May 25, 2010
What do you have against pitching machines?

Even if you aren't able to pitch to her, you can still toss balls to her from the side. That variety of looks does seem to help with timing.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2010
I have heard more than once that pitching machines are not good to use because you become a good cage hitter but I guess it cant hurt at this point. I believe she is at this point because of the difference in speed from middle school VS travel ball..

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
A pitching machine is a tool, and like any tool it's what you make of it. You can definitely over-use one, but I have used them with success. It's a good way to show her some speed that you may not be able to achieve otherwise.

My suggestion is to use it more like a real at-bat. In other words, she steps in and you keep ball and strike counts. She either hits or strikes out, then you have her step out, change the speed, and try again.

One of the knocks against pitching machines is that they always place the balls in the same spot. That hasn't been my experience with my Jugs Jr. If you use the seamed balls they tend to be more random in location. The speed is consistent, but you can adjust that by having the hitter step forward or backward a step or two between pitches (similar to the Barry Bonds drill).

Of course, if you can "rent" a local pitcher to throw to her that would be ideal. Try offering a HS pitcher $10 or $20 for a half hour session. Young girls are always looking for a little extra cash in the summer.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Ken's suggestion re rental pitcher would be my first choice. Second choice would be pitching machine using the Bonds drill (i.e., moving closer to machine after each hit, and moving back after each miss. Do this w/ inside, middle and outside pitches. This will help adjusting to speed and pitch height. The drawback is that this doesn't practice when to initiate the stride/swing v. live pitching and thus my preference for Ken's approach.

Good luck - GM

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Anyone call throw live pitching. Throw tennis balls overhand, if you have to.

It is my opinion only, that if she has timing problems using a pitching machine isn't going to help.

Post some video here and let us see, if it is a timing problem or something else.

Apr 7, 2010
Here's one I've used with my rec and travel teams in trying to help the girls adjust to faster pitching. I stand about 15 ft away from them with wiffle balls and throw fast pitches. The first few pitches they are usually way behind, but then they adjust and start hitting pretty consistently. Every now and then I throw one in the dirt or over their head to make sure they aren't just committing to every pitch. I've taken a wiffle ball or two to the face doing this, but it only stings for a bit. :)

Apr 8, 2010
hello all

thanks for the ideas . I did take her to the cages and she did the Barry Bonds drill and mashed the ball after a few swings . I also pitched foam balls from 15ft away and did pretty good.

I still would like to submit a video for comments Amy.......

Thanks again for the ideas. She felt much better after coming back from the cages ....... Be back soon . Any special place to post a hitting video.

Justwannaplay

Apr 8, 2010
hello all

thanks for the ideas . I did take her to the cages and she did the Barry Bonds drill and mashed the ball after a few swings . I also pitched foam balls from 15ft away and did pretty good.

I still would like to submit a video for comments Amy.......

Thanks again for the ideas. She felt much better after coming back from the cages ....... Be back soon . Any special place to post a hitting video.

Justwannaplay

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00