Need Opinions on which Travel team to join

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2012
I was hoping I could get some opinions on if I should switch Travel teams. DD plays Third, First, OF. Has a good bat. She is a first year 12U player on a first year team. We do not play rec ball so travel is it.

First the good; Gets all the playing time she wants, Coach treats her great and is a nice man, we have a say in almost everything. Flexible with the fact she plays two travel sports. We are conscientious to never miss a game or practice for either. She is in my humble opinion the best player on the team.

Now the bad; Team has no pitching, needs guests to have enough to get into tournaments. Team doesn't practice consistently or play consistently, no practice plans, Players don't come to practice w/o penalty. Not a priority for most players, parents. We win one game out of five. Are going to go four weeks without a game. Having a terrible time recruiting talent. Have recruited some talent but lost them due to above issues. Is it good to be the best player on any team you are on.

Should I count my blessing that we are treated so well and getting all the playing time or move on to potentially being the "new girl" which takes a while to get all the playing time back and your spot in the order? Also I could walk into a situation where if I have conflicts with both sports that all the concessions are not made for my schedule.

Your opinions will help and I am gratefult for them

Sep 17, 2009
You are operating under one set of principles; other players and the coach, another. Everyone seems nice, good-intentioned (which is good).

But...move on to a situation more in line with your desires and actions (and opposite of others on the team) before you begin resenting everyone and everything around you : >

Trust me, you will.

PS: Two sports can be tough, but should be manageable pre-high school (ie, 12U). After that, playing a fall high school sport can really conflict with an aggressive fall travel ball season. That's when decisions have to be made.

Good luck.

Feb 3, 2011
If she wants to play ASA this summer, then you should make a decision quickly, because many teams might be locking their rosters soon. The team she is on is obviously not interested in championship play, but I don't know what other options are available in your area.

As you have described the situation, I do not believe decent teams will go 4 weeks without a game during May-July. Teams generally take a little break in August. For now, maybe she can guest for other teams while her team isn't playing. There are only 7 weeks left in the season, though, so maybe the best move is to just stick it out for the next couple of months and then try out for other teams when tryouts come again in August.

May 30, 2012
We play year round thanks to our climate here. I am afraid that if I don't find the right team now I will be in trouble when it is time to find a team to "showcase" for. Or is it easy to get on a showcase team when the time is right and if DD is good enough for showcase? I don't want to team hop but as you say some teams are interested in top level championship play and some are okay with local tournaments which we are lucky to have lots of NSA, ISA, USSSA, ASA

Nov 29, 2009
Right now I think the only thing keeping your DD with the team the fact the coach goes along with the two travel sports. It sounds like the coach is gearing the team towards "Fun" without pushing and teaching the kids. In the long run it will only hurt your DD. At this point I would see about getting her into a situation that is better for her to grow as a softball player. I may require making some concessions with regards to the other sport. You DD may have to make a decision soon.

It's always better to be a little fish in the big pond having to have to fight for everything. She'll learn some lessons about herself that will stay with her beyond softball.

Sounds like you are on a rec team and just don't know it. If their is not a full roster and no consistent practice and tournament schedule it does not seem like this is a serious team. If your DD is really just interested in having fun and being able to play two sports I think you are OK in the situation you are in, if she wants to be serious about softball at some point it seems pretty obvious that you will have to find another team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG