Need opinion on trying out for more competitive team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
If your DD wants to do it than i would say let her. And just because she is not at the same level of pitching now, doesn't mean this doesn't give her the drive to push harder and earn a spot. I think playing with and against better competition can only make them better player.

If they're playing...

May 20, 2016
Agreed, but if you had no chance of playing you'd likely not make the team. Even the most competitive teams make sure everyone gets two games on Saturday. You take that opportunity to earn your spot.

Jun 11, 2013
It never hurts to tryout. If you make a team ask them if she can guest on the other team to get some pitching if they want. I know every decision seems like it's committing for life it really isn't. She will get better playing with better players, but keep an eye on how much she enjoys it. A B-team will gladl take her a year from now if she plays on an A team for a year. If she really wants to try it, it's worth a chance.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I think she got caught in the excitement of the team win … I don’t think it’s a good idea. I feel like she would just be a ‘filler’ role that would be easily replaced and maybe forgettable?. She’s only at the early 12u age and I think she should stay put with her current team.

Why don't you go talk to the coach of the A team about playing time?

I sympathize with your DD. She wants to know how good she is, and she isn't going to learn it by messing around on a mediocre B level team.

Anyway:

1. Your DD is probably an outfielder, not a pitcher or a 1B. Your DD probably knows this, and is waiting for you to figure it out as well. (And, exactly what is wrong with playing OF, getting on base, scoring runs and stealing bases?)
2. Your DD might not want to be a pitcher. She also might not have the tools to be a good pitcher. And, she may know it.
3. It is possible your DD really loves softball and wants to be exceptional. If so, then she knows that OF is where she belongs.
4. Her current team will be gone after this year. More than 50% of the kids on her current team will quit after 12U. Kids start developing interests in band, dance, singing, drama, flags, etc...and they drop out of softball. So, she will have to find a new team if she wants to play.
5. Playing for tournament championships at an A level tournament is a lot of fun.
6. It is her journey. "Spend more time doing what she wants to do, and less time doing what you want to do."
7. "What doesn't kill her makes her stronger." She isn't going to die if she fails on the "A" team...but she will learn some invaluable life lessons.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Have to disagree a bit here..this isn't drinking (or texting) and driving..
I agree. Degree of the transgression matters. However, in this matter, I respectfully have to disagree with you. It's a parent's job to advocate for their child and sometimes, step in and protect them from the wrong decisions they make. In this case, joining an A team with limited possibilities of PT and the other aspects as outlined by the OP is detrimental to her development as a player. That, IMO, is their job.

Jun 8, 2016
I agree. Degree of the transgression matters. However, in this matter, I respectfully have to disagree with you. It's a parent's job to advocate for their child and sometimes, step in and protect them from the wrong decisions they make. In this case, joining an A team with limited possibilities of PT and the other aspects as outlined by the OP is detrimental to her development as a player. That, IMO, is their job.
I understand. That said, see @sluggers post #14 for most of my thoughts about this. One more thing..sometimes in life we take on things which have us struggling to keep our head above water..it is only then do you find out how well you can actually swim... 🤷‍♂️

Nov 13, 2020
Appreciate everyone’s feedback and insight…. After some digging, one of the competitive teams that we can logistically make it to has 3 pitchers already and have 2 1st basemen as well. Another team has 2 pitchers and would consider having her try out for the 3rd position.. problem is that it’s further out and we just couldn’t make the drive work. IMO it seems like a bit of a haul for 12u. We are going to stay put for now keep our eye out and continue networking with friends for guest play opportunities. She says she loves pitching and playing center field so We are going to continue working on speed/agility, pitching lessons and slapping/bunting. Also gives her some time to improve her softball IQ.

Nov 18, 2013

Whether playing on a better team is good or bad is entirely a matter of opinion. This is not something we as parents need to force on them. All we need to do is provide them with facts, good and bad, and let her decide.

I believe playing with and against more talented players is great for development. Once they get that taste of highly competitive travel ball it’s tough to go back. Playing with girls who show up every week and are self driven is often lost on lower teams. Little things like weekends at the lake and Friday night sleepovers can be major differences in high and mid/low level teams Both have a place. It’s just a matter of priorities and which is more important to players and families.

I’ve said many times how DD benefitted playing on teams where she wasn’t the star or even always a starter. Having teammates with high aspirations and great coaching more than made up for fewer game reps. Other kids thrive in different environments. I don’t think there’s a right or wrong. I just don’t think people can make blanket statements because each kid is different.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Pitching is possibly the position players leave behind the most.

Imagine this discussion/decision
is at many dinner tables.
Can pitch at lower talent level.
But not upper level.

Have to be realistic about current actual ability level in the quest for longer term goals.
individual decision!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00