Need opinion on trying out for more competitive team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 13, 2020
Just curious what you all what do - understand every circumstance/kid is different - so DD was able to guest play with an A Level 12u team basically as a utility player and their team won the tournament. They used her to play various OF positions and had her drag bunt, slap, etc. She’s on the shorter side for her age now and plays now for a B/C travel team. On her current team, she is one of their main pitchers, bats top or 2nd in lineup, plays mostly center field and sometimes 1st base. She had fun with the A level team and talked about the opportunity about wanting to try out with a more competitive team. I explained to her that if she were to try out for a more competitive team, she wouldn’t be able to pitch as much (or really much at all) and may be bunting a lot.. and would probably not have too many opportunities to play 1st and may be sitting more. She still thinks it would be fun and feels that if she were around higher level girls she thinks it will make her better. I think she got caught in the excitement of the team win … I don’t think it’s a good idea. I feel like she would just be a ‘filler’ role that would be easily replaced and maybe forgettable?. She’s only at the early 12u age and I think she should stay put with her current team. Thoughts?

Aug 21, 2020
Just curious what you all what do - understand every circumstance/kid is different - so DD was able to guest play with an A Level 12u team basically as a utility player and their team won the tournament. They used her to play various OF positions and had her drag bunt, slap, etc. She’s on the shorter side for her age now and plays now for a B/C travel team. On her current team, she is one of their main pitchers, bats top or 2nd in lineup, plays mostly center field and sometimes 1st base. She had fun with the A level team and talked about the opportunity about wanting to try out with a more competitive team. I explained to her that if she were to try out for a more competitive team, she wouldn’t be able to pitch as much (or really much at all) and may be bunting a lot.. and would probably not have too many opportunities to play 1st and may be sitting more. She still thinks it would be fun and feels that if she were around higher level girls she thinks it will make her better. I think she got caught in the excitement of the team win … I don’t think it’s a good idea. I feel like she would just be a ‘filler’ role that would be easily replaced and maybe forgettable?. She’s only at the early 12u age and I think she should stay put with her current team. Thoughts?
We just survived a year of this. DD did her first year of 12U with our town travel team and was the 1st pitcher and they went undefeated until the championship where they lost a run. Because of COVID restrictions, the town wasn't sure about playing the next season, so she tried out with a premier organization, got on the team, and you described exactly her year. She didn't pitch at all and was batting towards the end of the line up. She always played on bracket day, but the coaches wouldn't let her slap or drag bunt (she's a lefty). Despite it all, she kept a positive attitude and was a good teammate, and was still hitting over 400. The team won the state championship, but I could tell after that she was done with the team. She loves to pitch and slap and because of that, she told me she wanted to leave when she moved to 14U this fall. Looking back - because we didn't know if the town was going to field a team I would have still jumped, but I would have looked at a few more organizations instead of jumping for the big name.

My advice - really ask her what she wants to do - if she wants to pitch and slap - you need to ask those "A" coaches if there's a place for her there. If not, I would tell her that staying in place is the right thing to do. You can't improve pitching if you don't do it in the game. We lost a year of circle time we can't get it back. I also should have noticed, this premier team had 4 coaches with DDs on the team and those DD's played the positions my DD did too.

I spent most of July scouting teams and coaches that would fit DD's needs at 14U. One of them had her guest this weekend at a tournament so she could play against 2nd year 14U teams. She pitched a CG with 12Ks and went 600 at bat. She hasn't been that happy walking off the field since 2019. So I think we found a team that wants her to do what she loves to do.

Feb 1, 2021
Id tell a player that just plays softball because her friends do, that staying where she is would be fine. If you have any desire to improve, I'd tell that player to move up to the next level when they feel they are ready.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Plain and simple...It's her journey but it's your job as a parent to protect her from making a mistake. You're absolutely right in your thinking. I've seen it time and time again and when it happens, the player is miserable, hasn't developed at all that year and is now a year behind her peers. With that said, there are various levels of play at the A,B and C levels. You may be able to find a more competitive team that fits both your needs and her desires such as an A-/B+ team but not necessarily a top tier A team.

Apr 6, 2017
What I have seen is moving to higher levels only amplifies the parent coach type situations. If you
have a plan for A level ball I’d say go for it. If it’s more for fun and learning I’d avoid it. We played some showcases and it really opened my eyes. We were a good B team trying to compete A level. We won a few but it really stressed our team and wasn’t much fun.

May 20, 2016
If your DD wants to do it than i would say let her. And just because she is not at the same level of pitching now, doesn't mean this doesn't give her the drive to push harder and earn a spot. I think playing with and against better competition can only make them better player.

Apr 20, 2017
It comes down to what her long term goals are with softball and her desires. You may be completely correct in your thoughts about playing time on a better team. But is that necessarily a bad thing for her future. If she is on the shorter side and is more of a speed player on offense is playing 1st the best thing for her to spend time? If pitching is something she enjoys but possibly not her softball calling is anything wrong with some possible pool play or just eat some innings time? If her best position is centerfield playing against and with higher level kids will make her get better. Now at 12u she is still young and has plenty of time to make the transition to higher level ball later. If she is ready to make the commitment to being the best she can be then it may be time to let her go after it. My DD made the transition to a pgf team second year 14 a few years ago. I wish we had done it sooner. I’m not saying either way you go is right or wrong but just giving you something to think about on the other side. Good luck on the decisions ahead.

Oct 4, 2018
Plain and simple...It's her journey but it's your job as a parent to protect her from making a mistake. You're absolutely right in your thinking. I've seen it time and time again and when it happens, the player is miserable, hasn't developed at all that year and is now a year behind her peers. With that said, there are various levels of play at the A,B and C levels. You may be able to find a more competitive team that fits both your needs and her desires such as an A-/B+ team but not necessarily a top tier A team.

Yup.

Seems like the OP has a good grasp on the issues and challenge. I'll add this:

If she stays on the B/C team (or any B team), she can most certainly improve. And improve more than if she was a part-time player on the A team. But this can only be done if she keeps working hard, you (or someone) work hard with her on non-practice days, and lessons continue.

Keep it fun for her. That's really the right answer.

I hope you can find a team that pushes her a bit harder but also lets her do the things that make the game fun for her.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles