Need Help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Ken B, No I don't. However, in catching for her, I see her forearm/hand rotate (left-right) around the elbow. As I see it, she needs to whip the forearm/hand toward the ground rather than kind of toward 3rd base.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Yes! She (is it Ono?) sure does give new meaning to having a noodle-like arm. And, boy, she does get arm whip. I suppose there are a lot of great pitchers out there who wish they could do what she does in this clip.

You know, though, notice that this gal doesn't have a straight arm at 12:00. Nor is her arm straight around release. However, her arm is definitely hugging her hip/thigh at the point where the whip is at its maximum intensity. This is the main thing I think my daughter needs to work on -- getting her forearm to whip tighter to her body rather than wrapping around it.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I was thinking the same about your DD! Below is another clip of Ueno.

Until a few weeks ago, I had assumed the arm completely unlocked/straightened at 6 o'clock. Something Rich Balswick and Hillhouse were chatting about in an old thread caught my attention. BoardMember made a similar reference that opened my eyes even more. Watching several clips of Osterman, Ricketts and Ueno showed me the arm doesn't straighten completely--even with a noodle-like whip. Seeing your DD from the front or back and at full speed I think would help for me to see it. There is a difference from loose whip and short arming and it's very evident at full speed and from front/back.

To expand on sluggers and the comments about using the arms during the drive, I think the arm circle will look better without giving it any attention if she makes better use of the arms to drive out. Right now they just go along for the ride during the first part of the circle.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
it seems like a fine line between long and loose and "locked" when my arm is relaxed it is not straight, it has a slight bend in it. To fully extend it I have to flex my tricep. Just like a short arm just looks wrong, getting completely straight also looks wrong and I think if it gets to this position it also loses whip. I always see a relaxed, very slight, bend at release when I look at slow motion video of the great ones.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
My daughter is obviously more like Scarborough, but Scarborough has that arm much tighter to her thigh/hip. I don't think Scarborough straightens her arm--it remains slightly bent through her whip. Interesting indeed!