My DD swing...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 25, 2011
Here is a couple of my daughters swings. Let's see where this can go.

She is a pretty good worker, but prefers to spend more time pitching than hitting. I'm hoping this will help spark her to want to spend more time on the hitting as well.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
She is a pretty good worker, but prefers to spend more time pitching than hitting. I'm hoping this will help spark her to want to spend more time on the hitting as well.
How old is she? And is she usually her team's #1 pitcher? My young pitcher prefers to practice pitching over hitting, too. At this age, I think it's best to let them focus on whatever they're motivated to do.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You'll likely receive a good number of suggestions.

Will point out that she isn't weighting her front heel .....

z95qe.gif

Mar 25, 2011
She is 11, she is playing up in a 12 & 13 rec league. Far and away the smallest girl I think in the whole league. A whole 4'-9" and 70 lbs. She's a beast! They have 3 pitchers of all very similar talent. They have big issues trying to share circle time. She takes pitching and hitting lessons from the same instructor, but she has a real hard time doing hitting with her because of her love of pitching. She has had 4 lessons so far, 1/2 hour sessions, and has come a long ways.

That swing was on June 8. I think she has done a bit at correcting that. The previous video was from July 11. Her heel looks like it comes all the way down on that one.

heeltouch.jpg

1) Does she have her weight shift looking decent?
2) I have asked her to keep her hands a bit higher and to go straight back on her coil, not to begin dropping them. I think the drop is promoting her elbow leading her hands and producing that bat drag (same issue my son has). She rarely hits the ball on the button. Lots of pop ups just over the infield, but not driving out like they could.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
This is a really good swing for an 11 year old girl. I hope you have picked a good instructor, because she can easily go backwards from here. She is doing some things naturally that typically get coached out of kids.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am glad that she didn't hit the ball. That pitcher is no more ready to catch a ball than she is to sing the national anthem.

Sorry. I couldn't watch the batter for looking at the pitcher.

Mar 25, 2011
She has a very good instructor from what I've seen so far. She doesn't verbalize the concepts like some of the technical individuals on this board. However, she physically puts DD in the position to accomplish alot of where she is at. DD and I ahve had many conversations in the kitchen about body movements we are trying to achieve durign the swing, and I think we are seeing the benefits of it. I hope to talk her into approving me putting some video of her pitching up sometime... For now, we'll just sit back and work on the swing. I'm guessing if she gets enough improvement on that part, she might be willing to get a few bits of advice on the pitch. Although, her pitching (and hitting) coach was a top D1 talent from about 6 years ago... she has been working on her really well, and DD has come a long ways in that area. I think she is close to turning a corner in the pitching area, and hopefully about to start getting velocity into her pitch. This is rec. league, and well, the girl pithcing this ball isn't too bad when you consider that.

Mar 25, 2011
No. This is REC. It is some inexpensive bat from a local store. Maybe $50. A fancy bat will be a reward, maybe when she passes 'the test'.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Thanks. I used to agree, my 3 daughters play Rec too but I've decided that with the deals that are available on ebay its worth paying $75-$100 for a composite bat. The performance difference can be pretty shocking. Got the Halo for $85. A different thread I guess.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06