Moving from 35-40 ft and bigger ball in one day!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2013
Just found out our 10U team has to play in the 12U division this weekend because of not enough 10U teams. Our girls, including my DD have to go back 5 ft and use the 12" balls. We tried it last night and it didn't work out well for our pitchers. We have another practice game tomorrow. I took my DD out tonight to practice, it started out horrible and got a little better. A few days just isn't enough time to get them prepared. Plus, our catchers are missing everything and runs are scoring constantly. Okay, end of rant!

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
This is in my opinion the toughest adjustment a young pitcher will ever have to make. It took my dd months to finally get consistent again. (That was 5 long years ago) ;)
Make her start practicing on a rubber set at 45'... when she goes back to 40' it will appear "soooo close!" I'm quoting my dd from back then!

Jun 23, 2013
Good question. I guess the coaches thought why not since we only have 2 weekends of all-star tourney games this summer.

Jun 11, 2013
I agree with the others. Unless you have practiced with the bigger ball and gotten used to it moving a 10U team up with no practice
can be dangerous. I would seriously consider finding another tourney somewhere or take a week off.

Mar 29, 2012
It is an adjustment not just for pitchers, but everyone. Took my DD a little bit to get used to fielding and throwing the bigger ball even. It was popping out of her glove alot the first week or so.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This sounds like a lot of downside with not a lot of upside. Playing with uncomfortable conditions in a situation that could likely lead to tremendous beat-downs by bigger, faster girls isn't very encouraging. I'd look hard for other tournament options.

Feb 5, 2010
Find another tourney. Ball size alone will be a huge factor for all of the younger girls who have not yet used one. It is not the kids fault that there is not enough players, why make them suffer?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi