Mound time vs team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 11, 2020
The 12u team would win!!! And yes my daughter wants to pitch all the time. And yes the shaky defense would bug me after a while bc she produces weak contact when she pitches. Not a strike out pitcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 26, 2020
Where does she play when she is not pitching for the 12U team? Is she still getting at bats and defensive reps?

Feb 14, 2019
DD has the opportunity to play up on 14u team where she would get plenty of mound time or stay with her 12 u team that’s a much better more competitive team but she is fighting for mound time?

Do you have any opportunity to perhaps have your DD pitch for a local league team? We did that one season for my DD to give her extra game experience that she would not ordinarily get with her TB team at the time. She pitched nearly every game for the league team (who struggled defensively so DD got to develop mental toughness along with getting lots of game reps, lol). We had an arrangement with the league team's coaches that TB practices/games took priority if/when there was a conflict, but we did attend practices with the league team when we could.

It really worked wonders for DD and still allowed her to play/compete with her normal TB team.

Feb 11, 2020
No local leagues. She plays 3rd when not pitching and gets plenty of batting on her 12u team- recently became lead off batter

Aug 9, 2021
I assume you mean increased circle time because she will pitch more games, versus because she will be out there longer because the defense is weak.

My concern would be pitching volume. Playing more games because of having less pitchers is great until she ends up having to make more pitches in each game due to errors or "non-plays." Not fun playing a tournament with only 1 or 2 pitchers and you are concerned about total pitch count on the weekend.

So far I think the "magic" number is 3 pitchers with another 1 or 2 girls that can pitch if needed.

Some people don't worry about it, but we do.

Nov 26, 2020
No local leagues. She plays 3rd when not pitching and gets plenty of batting on her 12u team- recently became lead off batter

I’d vote for staying in 12u, sounds overall like a better experience. Good luck!

Apr 20, 2015
Yep stay in 12s..she may want to pitch all the time but 2-3 games a weekend is actually responsible development that will serve her body well in the future

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA