Mound time vs team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 11, 2020
DD has the opportunity to play up on 14u team where she would get plenty of mound time or stay with her 12 u team that’s a much better more competitive team but she is fighting for mound time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 21, 2020
DD has the opportunity to play up on 14u team where she would get plenty of mound time or stay with her 12 u team that’s a much better more competitive team but she is fighting for mound time?

How is she at 43 ft? Does she have pitches that get more movement at that distance?

Jun 8, 2016

What does fighting for mound time mean? What does a typical weekend look like for her with the 12U team? Also, and maybe most importantly, what does your DD want to do?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Fyi, Softballers use the term "Circle time." The mound only exists in baseball. Going from 12U to 14U could be rough. Balls start leaving the park and the girls are much bigger. Will it hurt her or help her. Really depends on the skill set of the 14U team and who they are playing.

Feb 11, 2020
She did great when she guested for the 14u team. The extra distance didn’t bother her. On her current team she averages 1 game on Saturday and 1 on Sunday because there are 4 pitchers . On the 14u team she would be able to pitch many more games . However the 14 u team is shaky defensively and may miss routine pop ups.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
She did great when she guested for the 14u team. The extra distance didn’t bother her. On her current team she averages 1 game on Saturday and 1 on Sunday because there are 4 pitchers . On the 14u team she would be able to pitch many more games . However the 14 u team is shaky defensively and may miss routine pop ups.

Four pitchers is a luxury that most teams can't keep for long. However, I'd keep guesting for the 14U team when there's time, but stick with the good 12U for now. A bad team will wear on most people. A good pitcher has no shortage of playing opportunities on off weekends. You will eventually find a team that will offer more circle time AND not be shaky defensively.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

2 games per weekend is good!
What is the outcome of her pitches strikeouts walks hits?

Think look at what the schedule offers on her current team or what the schedule offers on the 14U team. Sometimes being competitive helps players develop more and just because 14u doesn't mean those players are more talented.
saying this again
really think softball is a talent level and not an age level.

Along with that would look at what the Coach Has to offer as far as helping her develop skills in other positions and hitting and also a coach who understands the next level of softball she wants to play at eventually.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri

DD has played on a team where she had tons of circle time with a shaky (at best) defense. For a pitcher, especially one who thrives on weak contact, it can get frustrating. She now plays on a 14u team where she gets less time, but has a much stronger defense. And is facing better hitters. She also probably averages a full game to game and a half per tournament day. Having talks with her, she likes the current situation much better than the old. She felt like she had to do everything before, whereas now the load is spread out more.

This isn't really a suggestion one way or the other. But more food for thought.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas

It really comes down to how much she enjoys pitching.

There is a whole mental/emotional side of pitching that your DD has to learn to be "good". The only way to learn that stuff is to be in the circle. She ain't going to learn it from the dugout or RF.

My DD faced the same situation. She went to a lower level team, and ended up pitching 5 or 6 games on the weekend, with another 1 or 2 during the week. She loved it. The experience made her a much better pitcher.

My DD didn't mind carrying the team. In TB, HS, and college, she wanted to pitch every game.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2016
Given a choice I don't think I would pick a 14u team that "may miss routine pop ups". At that age you start seeing softball that looks like what you see on TV. A team that has multiple players that have trouble making routine catches will have a hard time having good practices that allow them to develop as a team. If the team is full of dedicated athletic girls with a good coach, they could develop.
My DD wasn't a pitcher and I have always gotten frustrated at poor defense. I can only imagine it is much tougher for pitcher's parents

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06