Most out of touch parent story

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
I know of a parent who has a hard time seeing anything positive in their kid which, truthfully, is probably worse than any of these (admittedly) funny stories...

It's really heart-breaking, isn't it? Both for the immediate and the lifetime bond you can easily suspect they'll (not) have.

Jun 20, 2015
one that is funny but not really. large tourney that takes say 100 teams. pool play results get your team seeded into different brackets that never play each other. So the top 25 teams are Gold bracket, next 25 - Silver, then copper, then bronze.

So, then you see the posting about the Mayberry Elite Hittin' Kittens winning the Slamfest XXu bronze bracket. Congratulations, you finished in 75th place!!!

Mar 6, 2016
Is it just me and Pattar that think our own daughter's suck (not really) and can never do anything right and always need to get better and work harder? 🤪

I never could grasp how so many parents brag non stop about how good their kid is. When another parent says how good my DD is or what she did well, my very first words are, "Thanks, BUT....." and then I nitpick the crap out of everything she does.

I know I shouldn't, but I can't fathom being the other way... Parents, let the kids play do the talking for her/him.

Now, I compliment my kid privately. I do tell her what she's doing well and keep things "mostly" positive and fun between us. But, i can't gush and go on and on like many do in public. lol

Jun 8, 2016
Is it just me and Pattar that think our own daughter's suck (not really) and can never do anything right and always need to get better and work harder? 🤪

I never could grasp how so many parents brag non stop about how good their kid is. When another parent says how good my DD is or what she did well, my very first words are, "Thanks, BUT....." and then I nitpick the crap out of everything she does.

I know I shouldn't, but I can't fathom being the other way... Parents, let the kids play do the talking for her/him.
A happy medium is necessary but if you are going to go one way or the other I would choose the rose colored glasses look. It makes the game a lot more enjoyable to watch and probably is a lot easier on the kid. I haven't watched a bball game for Marcela in over 6 months and to be honest just asking her if she had fun after the game, without knowing in my head all of the things she could have done better, has been a much more enjoyable experience. I ask the same question when I go watch her play softball but my head isn't into it..

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
one that is funny but not really. large tourney that takes say 100 teams. pool play results get your team seeded into different brackets that never play each other. So the top 25 teams are Gold bracket, next 25 - Silver, then copper, then bronze.

So, then you see the posting about the Mayberry Elite Hittin' Kittens winning the Slamfest XXu bronze bracket. Congratulations, you finished in 75th place!!!
This right here. TCS Nationals-85 teams entered. My friend's DD's team won the "Wild Card" Bracket at TCS Nats with 5 teams in it. Out of the 85, they finished 80th. He was so proud of them winning.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
This right here. TCS Nationals-85 teams entered. My friend's DD's team won the "Wild Card" Bracket at TCS Nats with 5 teams in it. Out of the 85, they finished 80th. He was so proud of them winning.
Wow! So far down they ran out of precious metals to make the trophy out of! ;)

Aug 1, 2019
MN
...When another parent says how good my DD is or what she did well, my very first words are, "Thanks, BUT....." and then I nitpick the crap out of everything she does....But, i can't gush and go on and on like many do in public. lol
Funny how when we receive a compliment about our kids we feel we have to respond with another insight, whether it is good or bad, or scramble to come up with a compliment about their kid. We may even give a nonsensical reply when we're caught off guard. For some of us it is really hard to simply say "Thanks, that's kind of you to say so." and just leave it at that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bake12