Most out of touch parent story

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2018
a group of parents were talking about recruiters showing up to a tournament. this was a 10u div C tournament in the middle of no where. this same group pushed to have my kid removed from town rec because she was too good for rec. this was 5 yrs ago and its still awkward bumping into these parents.

Oct 10, 2018
In DD's Rec league days there were a handful of girls who had the talent to move onto TB. Due to parent pressure, the league decided to create a "select" TB team/league separate from the rec program. Ultimately they created a C team at best, that plays locally and only 2 or so real tourneys. Of course all the girls wanted to make the "select" team. One girl was ok but definitely not "select" and really not that into softball but her parents were very vocal about her "skills" and how it's about time they created a team where she'd be challenged. She didn't make the team. Her parents ranted and raved about it. They took to social media, and the mother went through all the moms telling them what a shitty program the rec league was and the new TB team was crazy not to have her daughter. The rec league reached out to her and tried to calm the waters, practically begged them to let her play on the rec team and try out for the TB next time. Of course she told everyone in town how they realized what a mistake they made but her DD would never play for them again. The next spring she was was back on their rec. team, never tried out for a single TB team including their new TB team. ????

Jun 20, 2015
where to start...

#1. the parent who was sure the camp invite they received for their DD to the D1 camp was personally for their DD, and not a money maker camp.

#2. the parent that brings their DD to travel ball tryout positive that she's hit 70+mph over hand throwing speed. Lie detector ready 58mph max. AND then texted 3 days later asking where their offer to join the team was.

#3. The parent who thought their DD would just walk through HS tryouts, never playing travel, and start on varsity. said DD was cut and never made JV.

#4. The parent overheard at tourney bragging how her DD is receiving emails from BIG named D1 coach inviting her to their college and how she 'has turned down their scholarship offer'. said girl was on the rubber and getting shelled at a b/c level local tourney.

more to follow...

Jun 20, 2015
#5. parent bragging how much athletic scholarship money their DD is being offered at a local D3 college.

#6. parent bragging how DD is on elite "A" level travel team, yet their entire schedule is local B/C level tourneys, that they are not close to winning.

#7. Parent bragging how DD is 4 year starter on a HS team that averages 4 wins a season over the past 15 years.

OK, I'm done. Vent complete.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I have forgotten more stories that I can remember. I don't know if these are just sad stories or delusional parent stories.
  • That parent that says their kid is getting looks from a local SEC team who ended up at a small time Comm college (good fit) several states away. On signing day, the paper says that she intends to transfer to local SEC program. Did not happen
  • That mom that says DD got a full ride athletic scholarship at local D1 school as a 1B. I wanted her to really break down the $$, but I didn't have time or energy. I said 1B right?
  • Last night at the HS JV game mom turns around and says her DD has played baseball since she was 3. Did I say it was a JV game? She is facetiming with husband and saying all kinds of ridiculous things when she was batting. "This isn't your first rodeo" "You've been here before" The kid got a hit against a kid throwing lollipops. She was so proud and puffing her chest out. Most of these players would not make a better JV team. In fact the Varsity team wouldn't beat most JV teams.
  • That dad that said Michigan was looking at his kid. Maybe he meant a school in Michigan? She was on the 2nd 18U team in her organization. She is playing coed slow pitch these days. Same dad says that he played for local D1 baseball team, but can't provide any proof. No accolades at his HS either. I know, because I went to that same school.
  • Ran into dad at Kroger of twin girls that are a couple of years older than DD. Never played higher than 12U Allstars. Says that he is really hoping for a softball scholarships for his DD's. facepalm.
  • When I was the recruiting coordinator-mom says she has the whole recruiting thing down. She has a local instructor that has all the contacts, which for the most part does. But that was her only plan. I asked her to send me schools of interest. Never did. Then asks me why I didn't talk to XXX coach at a particular game. I didn't know your DD was interested in that school. Kid is still an unrecruited Sr.
  • How about that time a dad talks about "DD's dream" to play D1 ball and won't consider any other Division and only talks about chasing the athletic scholarships. Kid signs (total sincere Congrats to her)Says that the intended major is top 5 in the country but online rankings indicate top 150.
  • How about that time the dad talks about the state rankings of DD's 12UB level team?
  • or that time a former Allstar league local coach who poached many rec ball players from local league to start his own team. Wins USFA 14U State tourney and makes a huge banner to celebrate hanging it from the fence of local city field. A year later team dissolves.
  • That time a Bombers coach says that his team will be at all the best tournaments and you need to come to tryouts. Never saw that team in 4 years at any tournament or any field.
  • That time when a parent bragged about their 41-5 record. They decided to travel many states away to go run the table at an ASA qualifier. Got double dipped!!! The Hittin' Kittens were great in the B level circuits relying on 1 pitcher to pitch every meaningful inning. If that pitcher was not available they would not play.
  • Same team as above. Trying to bring a kid over to our team so they can get more exposure. Dad thinks his kid is an OU type player and he will handle the recruiting. She's not at OU.
  • How about that dad who walks around wearing the gear his kid got committed to banging his chest. Kid goes for college visit. Monday comes and has her verbal rescinded.
  • That dad that say LSU is looking at DD. C'mon man! She is at LSU enjoying her best sorority Instagram life!
That's enough for me. Your turn.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
#5. parent bragging how much athletic scholarship money their DD is being offered at a local D3 college. I love when someone says that a kid got a full ride at an Ivy league school. Everyone ask me if my kid got a full ride at her D3 school. They are so perplexed when I tell them the truth, but they swear their cousin's kid got a full ride at their D3 school.

#6. parent bragging how DD is on elite "A" level travel team, yet their entire schedule is local B/C level tourneys, that they are not close to winning.

#7. Parent bragging how DD is 4 year starter on a HS team that averages 4 wins a season over the past 15 years.

OK, I'm done. Vent complete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478