Most out of touch parent story

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I think the "most out of touch" parent is one who puts everything they've got into their kid's sports, but not the academics. I've seen some pretty good HS players who have decent grades, but terrible SAT/ACT test scores. Their parents seem to have no interest in raising them to even marginally acceptable levels. They shrug and say "my scores sucked too". They'd rather see their kid go from one sport season to another while not giving their kid the time and means to academically qualify for a decent school and perhaps some non-athletic scholarship money. I've seen a couple of these kids actually get to a Div1 school, and not be able to handle the classwork. Most seem to end up playing at a JUCO or a lower-level state college or leave the game completely.

Aug 25, 2019
I think the "most out of touch" parent is one who puts everything they've got into their kid's sports, but not the academics. I've seen some pretty good HS players who have decent grades, but terrible SAT/ACT test scores. Their parents seem to have no interest in raising them to even marginally acceptable levels. They shrug and say "my scores sucked too". They'd rather see their kid go from one sport season to another while not giving their kid the time and means to academically qualify for a decent school and perhaps some non-athletic scholarship money. I've seen a couple of these kids actually get to a Div1 school, and not be able to handle the classwork. Most seem to end up playing at a JUCO or a lower-level state college or leave the game completely.
Right, I was talking to a mom of DD's HS teammate about college and majors and stuff. She said, "She'll go wherever she can play softball and we'll figure it out" This girl is no D1 player, most likely D3.....I kind of felt sad for her.

Oct 4, 2018
One of the dads of a girl on my DD's team played pro ball. It took months of knowing him and talking to him for it to finally come out, mostly because of my questions.

His DD is a stud -- such a good athlete and good girl.

He never brags about her.

You can always tell, right? Act like you've been there before.

I said "Dude, do you have a baseball card with you on it?!" and he kinda smiled and nodded. How cool.

Oct 4, 2018

We had a parent tell us her kid got a 4 on a test. We all said "What?". Her reply was to first blame the teachers, then blame her kid, then blame the system, then just resign to "he doesn't like school" and lastly "he'll just play baseball".

Yeah, that's going to end well.

Feb 15, 2016
how about the kids that post signing letter of intent all over social media with all the balloons and pomp and circumstances etc.. then when the university puts out the official medial posting about the number of kids in the class as well as blurb about each one of the recruits and what they bring to program the kids are not mentioned by university or coach.. can you say walk on

How about folks who make fun of a kid being proud to be a walk-on?

Feb 12, 2014
One of the dads of a girl on my DD's team played pro ball. It took months of knowing him and talking to him for it to finally come out, mostly because of my questions.

His DD is a stud -- such a good athlete and good girl.

He never brags about her.

You can always tell, right? Act like you've been there before.

I said "Dude, do you have a baseball card with you on it?!" and he kinda smiled and nodded. How cool.

My son had a baseball game last year in Northern Ohio. We sat down the 3rd baseline kind of by ourselves and I was keeping the book , the other team's 3B coach chatted with us the whole game. Great conversation. My 6'1" daughter happened to be there and he spent a ton of time talking to her about college and softball. It was just a great conversation and day at the ball park.

The team happened to be coached by a woman and after the game in the parking lot I approached her to say how cool it was to see a woman coaching a travel baseball team and to mention how much I enjoyed talking to her 3rd base coach and how knowledgeable he was.

Turns out it was her father who had a long career with the Cleveland Indians! In 7 innings of talking baseball and softball, he NEVER mentioned it. I thought that was about the epitome of cool.

Apr 28, 2014
Anyone who says their kid has an exit velocity over 65.. lmao.
Then you know they can't hit in a game..
That's almost a given.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma